These healthy chocolate cookies are so easy to make, dairy free, whole foods focused, and can be easily made gluten free. They make a great healthy snack or healthy treat to enjoy any time of day!
Soft & Pillowy Healthy Chocolate Cookies
I created this healthy batch of deliciousness several years ago and have finally had the chance to revamp the recipe! These healthy chocolate cookies are super soft, pillowy, and mildly sweet. Perfect for a healthy snack that’s not going to shoot up your blood sugar levels!
I originally made these cookies using spelt flour, a great whole grain with lots of nutrients if you can tolerate gluten, and remade them with a gluten free all purpose flour for those who need a gluten free option!
Making Cookies Healthier
To make cookies healthier than regular cookies there are a few things to address and swaps you can make to bring in more nutrition but not sacrifice flavour!
- Swap Refined Flour for Whole Grain/Unrefined Flour – when a cookie recipe calls for refined white flour, always check to see if there’s an option so swap in a whole grain flour like spelt, or a gluten free grain flour such as brown rice or a blend.
- Substitute Refined Sugar for Unrefined Sweeteners – when a cookie recipe calls for white or brown sugar which are both refined and can raise blood sugar levels (and worsen sugar cravings!), use a natural unrefined sugar option if possible instead such as raw honey, pure maple syrup, or coconut palm sugar.
- Make Them Dairy Free – Dairy products produce an inflammatory response in many people, and can often cause digestive distress, eczema, and other unpleasant symptoms. If the cookie recipe calls for butter, try coconut oil or a plant-based butter substitute instead!
Ingredients in Healthy Chocolate Cookies
To make these delicious cookies I use a simple combination of ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Spelt flour or All-Purpose (1 to 1) Gluten Free Flour
- Raw honey
- Raw Cocao Powder (or regular Cocoa Powder)
- Dark chocolate chips (70% or darker, naturally sweetened if possible)
- Plant-Based butter (such as Earth Balance) or Coconut oil
- Vanilla Extract
- Non-dairy milk of choice
- Salt, baking powder, and baking soda
The cookies come together in a breeze and are kid and adult friendly. I love that they are not overly sweet and have a rich chocolate flavour while still having a light and soft consistency. The texture of these cookies is actually a little “cake-like”, as they are soft and pillowy.
Another little fact about these cookies is that they are relatively low in calories (around 60 calories each). While I definitely prioritize nutrition density over calorie counting, it is something to consider, as it’s important to be mindful of portion sizes and your overall food intake during the day as just another way to practice mindful eating.
If you are looking for a fun little baking idea, and a sweet but healthy treat to snack on, these healthy double chocolate cookies are a must! Be sure to pin the photo below the recipe to save this one for later and of course, share the love!
More Healthy Cookie Recipes You’ll Love:
- Healthier Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Healthy Chocolate Protein Power Cookies
- 4-Ingredient Soft & Chewy Banana Nut Butter Cookies
- Soft & Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Have a lovely Sunday!