I wonder if I’m just going to have to turn my blog into an all dessert blog soon – it seems that all I’ve been wanting to make lately is decadent sweet (yet guilt-free) delights!!
This one isn’t just ANY dessert though… it’s a made-it-in-less-than-5-minutes dessert!
Yep, no slaving in the kitchen for hours covered in flour, then warming up the whole house with a hot stove for an hour!
Cook time on this little guy?
1-Minute folks, yep… one whole minute!
So what’s in this little dream?
We’ve got coconut flour, peanut flour (or PB2 in my case!), natural chocolate protein powder (my fave North Coast Naturals), ground flax, cocoa powder, and stevia!! A perfect healthy, whole foods cake base!
The moisture comes from fresh banana, egg whites, and unsweetened almond milk!
Then a little one-minute zip-zap in the microwave and it’s done! (Ok, no I don’t usually condone microwave use as an every day, all the time thing, but here and there yes I use the microwave! So for any of you 100% anti-microwavers out there, I’m sorry this mug cake isn’t for you :()
And the result? A dense, soft, rich, cake which is begging to be coated in more deliciousness!
I chose PB & Co Dark Chocolate Dreams naturally sweetened cocoa peanut butter. Helloooo!
And I mashed up some warmed strawberries to make the strawberry portion of my ‘banana-split’ cake!
Is this real life??? (in ‘David After Dentist’ voice…. if you haven’t seen the YouTube video I’m sorry, you won’t get this.)
Why yes, this is real life.
This has actually been my choice evening snack for the past week now since I first made it!
With 1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter and some mashed berries the whole thing comes to around 230 calories, and it’s filling!!
There’s a perfect balance between protein and complex carbohydrates… with a nice addition of fiber from the flaxseed and coconut flour, and there’s only 6g of sugars naturally coming from the fruit!
After dinner I typically have work to do, so I go up to my office and I tell myself, If I get 2 hours of solid work done, I’m allowed to go make my mug cake, and then I can eat it and relax for a little while before bed.
If this isn’t motivation to get work done, I don’t know what is!
I’ve been toying around with some different ideas on how I can change this mug cake up to make different combo’s of flavors, so don’t be surprised if this shows up again on the blog soon but in a different way!
So, got 5 minutes to spare?
It’s MUG CAKE TIME!
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Chocolate Protein Powder (I use North Coast Naturals)
- 1 Tablespoon Peanut Flour (or more Coconut Flour, I use PB2)
- 2 teaspoons Ground Flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 packets stevia (or 1 Tablespoon other sweetener - i.e. honey, maple syrup, coconut palm sugar)
- 1 teaspoon raw cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons egg whites, or 1-egg white
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- ¼ cup mashed banana
- + Whatever toppings your heart desires! (I love PB & Co Dark Chocolate Dreams & Strawberries!)
- In a large mug combine the dry ingredients - mix well to eliminate clumps.
- In a small bowl mash banana and add in egg whites and almond milk, stir well (this might be a little clumpy still because of the banana, and that's ok!)
- Mix the wet into the dry and stir well.
- Cover the mug with saran wrap or another lid of choice and microwave on high for 1-minute.
- Remove mug from microwave and either eat right out of the mug or tip over onto a plate.
- Cover with whatever toppings you desire - peanut butter, melted dark chocolate, fruit, nuts, etc.
Nutritionist in the Kitch