It’s become a Christmas tradition for the Hubby and I to cozy up on the couch and watch Gordon Ramsay’s Ultimate Christmas. Seriously, just try to watch that show and not drool an excessive amount. It’s impossible! First of all, his amazing kitchen alone makes me drool – then add in the food he makes?! Drool-o-rama!
On one of the episodes Gordon made Cinnamon Eggy Bread with Stewed Apples. Oh. my. gosh. I could barely contain myself from running to my own kitchen to recreate his dish!
Gordon, bless his heart, is an amazing chef – but when it comes to the dishes he makes on his Ultimate Christmas show, well… they are sometimes far from healthy. Lots of butter, lots of sugar, and lots of calories. So – inspired by Gordon, I decided to whip up my own batch of eggy bread – Nutritionist in the Kitch style!
I decided to use whole grain gluten free bread instead of the white crusty bread used in Gordon’s version as the base of this delicious recipe. Then, I used eggs mixed with unsweetened almond milk (no milk, no oil, no butter, no sugar… sorry Ramsay) and a little cinnamon and stevia to soak the bread in!
For the stewed apples I used fresh apples with pure maple syrup, stevia, tapioca, lots of cinnamon, and water! Perfection – a warm, saucy, apple cinnamon mixture perfect for topping the eggy bread!
Finally, instead of topping the dish with powdered sugar, I just sprinkled on more delicious cinnamon! Cinnamon is a super nutritious spice – it helps reduce bad cholesterol levels in the body, is a natural antibiotic and anti-inflammatory, and it also contains iron, fibre, calcium, and manganese!
This dish is perfect for breakfast or brunch on a chilly winter day! It’s warming, filling, healthy, and so delicious. Plus, as with anything that’s “apple cinnamon” flavour, it will leave your house smelling amazing!
- 4 pieces whole grain bread (gluten free if needed)
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 10 drops liquid stevia (or 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup)
- For The Apples:
- 1 red apple, diced (I used gala)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp tapioca starch
- 5 drops liquid stevia (or more pure maple syrup)
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, cinnamon, unsweetened almond milk.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Dip each slice of bread in the egg mixture to fully coat and place in the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until browned and crisp.
- Once the slices are done, place on a plate or in the oven to keep warm.
- In a small bowl whisk together the tapioca, water, and stevia until dissolved.
- In the warm pan add in the diced apple and sprinkle with the cinnamon.
- Add in the pure maple syrup, and sautee for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the tapioca mixture and reduce the heat to slow, and sautee with the apples for 2-3 more minutes, the mixture will thicken with the apples to make a sauce.
- Pour the stewed apples over the eggy bread and drizzle with pure maple syrup.
- Serve for two!
I hope you had a fantastic Christmas! I can’t believe 2015 is so close upon us. It seems that this past year was just a blink – I can’t wait to see what 2015 has in store!
We are off to Jasper on Monday to enjoy some time in the mountains and ring in the New Year! We are staying at the amazing Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge and I’m already thinking about the amazing, locally sourced dishes we will be enjoying! I’ll be sure to do a post!
Have a wonderful rest of the weekend!
Nutritionist in the Kitch