That is all I have to say about these bars.
Actually, I have a lot more to say, but if I had to describe these bars in one word.. or uhh… sound, it would be “Mmmmm”, 100%.
Rather than topping them with chocolate, which I imagine would taste incredible, I decided to use fresh, in season, ripe, juicy cherries and stuff these bars with them to get a juicy cherry burst with every rich, buttery bite!
Ok… if your mouth isn’t watering yet, I don’t know what’s going to do it!!
This recipe is SUPER simple (big surprise eh!? Simple is my motto!) and requires minimal ingredients which I BET you already have in your pantry!
Some natural almond butter, just like the delicious, perfect MARANATHA almond butter I used, raw almonds, rolled oats, raw honey, extra virgin coconut oil, and yep, you got it – CHERRIES!
During the summertime, Fresh BC (British Columbia) Cherry stands pop up ALL over the place! I can’t help but stop and get some – they are just so fresh, ripe, juicy, and flavorful!
Cherries are also a super healthy fruit! They are loaded with antioxidants, very high in fiber (uhh.. word to the wise, you’ll figure this one out real quick if you decide to eat a whole bag of cherries in one sitting…), and they also help to naturally reduce inflammation in the body!
These bars combine the wonderful benefits of protein and omega-fatty-acid rich almonds, with healthy cherries, and they are super hearty and filling!
It’s hard to eat just one.. but because they are made with coconut oil and nut butter, the calories in these bars are on the higher side, so (try to) enjoy these bars one at a time!
The other day, I crumbled half a cherry almond butter bar into my Greek yogurt with cinnamon, a little dollop of almond butter and mashed cherries – it was out of this world and a perfect healthy mid-afternoon snack! Check out my instagram for the picture!
Thank you to Angela for inspiring this delicious creation!
- ¾ cup raw almonds
- ¼ cup rolled oats (gluten free if needed)
- 2 tablespoons natural almond butter
- 1½ tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1½ tablespoons raw creamed honey (for vegan sub pure maple syrup or agave)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup chopped fresh pitted cherries
- In a food processor pulse almonds to a flour. Add in oats and process until well blended with the almond meal.
- Transfer 'flour' to a bowl and add in almond butter, honey, coconut oil, vanilla, and salt. Stir to combine.
- You will have a sticky mixture (it may be slightly crumbly but will come together in the freezer once the coconut oil hardens)
- Stir in the chopped cherries and press mixture into a small loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze for 30-60 minutes to set.
- Cut into 6 bars.
*Recipe Adapted from Oh She Glows
We are LOVING our time in British Columbia right now!
I picked up some local cherries yesterday at DeMille’s Farmers Market in Salmon Arm and we ate A LOT yesterday! I actually brought these Cherry Almond Butter Bars with us on our trip and we’ve been snacking on them here and there!
I’ll have to make more with this new batch of delicious cherries!!
Nutritionist in the Kitch