One of my all time favourite things to order at a nicer restaurant is a charcuterie platter. As soon as I see that sweet word on the menu “charcuterie” I’m sold. There’s no talking me out of it. Something about the fusion of all these tasty little treats, meticulously arranged over a big board, each piece calling my name and all the flavour combinations possible… I just love it!
During the holidays there’s typically a lot of opportunities to host friends or family, or bring something special to a party, and I can guarantee you’d be the favourite guest if you walked through the door with one of these platters in hand!
Often at restaurants however, charcuterie boards are loaded with cheeses and crostini or baguettes making it tough for anyone with a dairy or gluten intolerance to enjoy everything on the platter. That’s why for this post, I wanted to show you exactly how you can pick from an amazing variety of food to create your own DIY gluten & dairy free charcuterie platter.
I even found vegan paté at the market which also inspired me to share many vegan options for any readers who want to enjoy their charcuterie sans animal products altogether!
Here’s my DIY list…happy creating!
DIY GLUTEN & DAIRY FREE CHARCUTERIE
*choose 3-5, (v) denotes vegan option
- Bresaola (Italian cured beef)
- Smoked/Cured Salmon
- Bison or Elk Sausage (be sure it is marked gluten & dairy free)
- Salami (be sure it is marked gluten free)
- Chicken Paté (be sure it is marked gluten & dairy free)
- Smoked Tofu (v)
- Roasted Chickpeas (v)
- Vegan Paté (v)
*choose 3-4, all of these are vegan too!
- Mandarin/Satsuma Oranges
- Sliced Apple
- Dried Apricots
- Dried Cranberries
*choose 2-5, all of these are vegan too!
- Cashew Cream Cheese (Yoso makes a great one!)
- Dairy-Free Farmhouse Cheese Blocks (Daiya has a nice smoked gouda)
- Other Nut or Coconut Based Cheeses (here’s a link with tons of make your own options)
- Roasted Nuts (almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, pecans, etc.)
- Pickled Beans
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Sliced Radishes
CRACKERS & BREADS
*choose 2-3, (v) denotes vegan option
- Mary’s Gone Crackers (v)
- Rice Crackers (v)
- Gluten-Free Pretzels (may contain eggs)
- Gluten-Free Crostini (brushed with olive oil, may contain eggs)
- Gluten-Free Pita Slices (v)
CONDIMENTS & DIPS
Choose 2-3, (v) denotes vegan option
- Dijon Mustard (v)
- Fig, Apricot, or Onion Jam (v)
- Bruschetta (v, be sure it does not contain cheese)
- Olive Tapenade (v)
I hope this post inspires you to create your own DIY gluten & dairy free holiday charcuterie platter this season. I had so much fun putting this one together… and just as much fun gobbling it down too!
I’d love to read about what you create or what your favourite components of a charcuterie are in the comments below!
Nutritionist in the Kitch
If you loved this post, be sure to pin the image below! <3