Happy December! It’s officially the month of all Christmas festivities!
The hubby and I have already taken in a work Christmas party and set up our decorations and tree at home. The house is finally feeling Merry & Bright. I just love relaxing on the couch in the evening with the fireplace glowing and the Christmas tree glistening.
For today’s post I’ve created a festive and tasty potato salad to make for any holiday gathering. I’ve teamed up again with The Little Potato Company to use their oh-so convenient, quick roasting creamer potatoes. I also used their newest variety the Chilean Splash, which has a gorgeous purple hue “splashed” across each little potato. These tasty potatoes are also rich in potassium and fibre, and I always leave the skins on when roasting as the skin is where much of the nutrients are!
Surprisingly the combination of pesto and plump dried cranberries in this recipe works so well together, a perfect mix of sweet and savoury.
As I was creating this recipe, my hubby had a great idea of mixing in some organic mayonnaise with the pesto to create a pesto aioli.
Years ago, we worked at Earls Restaurant together and there was an incredibly indulgent warm potato salad on the menu that contained mayonnaise among many other ingredients (bacon, butter, I think they maybe put sour cream in it too?), so for my recipe, I decided to keep the mayonnaise to a minimum to add just a tad of creaminess but not make the potato salad too heavy.
I also added a sprinkling of hemp seeds to garnish the potato salad for extra texture, plant-protein, and omega-3 goodness!
It’s not unusual to enjoy a side of potatoes of some sort around the dinner table this time of year, so why not try this festive version at your next gathering! Healthy, simple, festive and delicious!
Do you make a special potato dish for the holidays? What do you put in it? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
- 2½ cups Chilean Splash creamer potatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons (or homemade) pesto (here's a recipe for dairy free homemade pesto on the blog)
- 2 tablespoons organic mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons dried, naturally sweetened cranberries (I used Patience Fruit & Co apple juice sweetened dried cranberries)
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl add the cut creamer potatoes and the olive oil and toss to coat.
- Spread the potatoes over the baking pan and roast for 20 minutes, then flip and roast for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl combine the mayonnaise and pesto and mix well. Set aside.
- When the potatoes are done roasting, place them in a large bowl and add in the pesto sauce while they are still hot, along with the dried cranberries. Mix well to combine.
- Transfer the potato salad to a serving bowl and sprinkle with the hemp seeds.
Have a wonderful rest of your Sunday!
Nutritionist in the Kitch