Salad jars have been all the rage for the last couple of years and it makes complete sense. They are portable, pretty, and easy to make. What’s not to love?
Last summer I created these Veggie-Loaded Summer Potato Salad Jars and they were well loved, both by readers and of course, by myself and the hubby. I thought it would be fun to create another salad jar recipe using my favourite Little Potato Company creamer potatoes with a totally different taste and another array of nutritional benefits.
Enter these tasty, easy, healthy, and garlicky Niçoise Salad Jars made with fresh spinach, juicy cherry tomatoes, perfectly boiled creamer potatoes, black olives, tangy capers, and hard-boiled eggs topped with a slightly sweet, very garlicky and lemony vinaigrette dressing.
I’m a huge fan of Mediterranean inspired flavours and these salad jars combine healthy fats, protein, and fibre-rich carbohydrates with bright, nutrient-rich vegetable goodness in a light, portable meal that’s just as easy to make as it is to eat.
Potatoes in a salad is no new thang. Potato salad has long been a summertime favourite, hence my healthier re-make of potato salad last summer (here’s a few other healthy potato salads I’ve created in the past), and these Niçoise jars provide just another delicious way to enjoy these potassium and fibre-rich root vegetables in a lighter, healthier way.
Along with the creamer potatoes, the spinach, tomatoes, and lemon add in antioxidants and the olive oil based dressing brings in those wonderful healthy omega-rich fats that add a filling factor to the dish. Salads don’t have to be just a flimsy side to a main meal. Add in the right ingredients and they can really be a filling and nourishing meal in themselves!
Whether it’s a summer picnic, a day out-and-about, or a road trip, these salad jars make a perfect bring along option!
Are you a fan of salad jars? How do you make your salads filling, healthy, and portable? I’d love to read about it in the comments below!
- For The Jars:
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 10 creamer potatoes, halved (cook in boiling water for 15 minutes or until fork tender, then drain and cool) (I used Little Potato Company Chilean Splash creamer potatoes)
- ¼ cup pitted kalamata olives (or other olives of your choice)
- 4 hard boiled eggs, halved
- Roasted Garlic Lemon Dressing:
- 2 roasted cloves garlic* (I roasted a whole garlic bulb ahead of time and used leftover roasted cloves from the bulb for this dressing)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- pinch of salt
- pinch of peppper
- Prepare the potatoes by heating a large pot of water over high heat. Bring the water to a boil and add in the halved potatoes. Boil the potatoes for 15 minutes or until fork tender, then drain and set aside to cool.
- Next, prepare the dressing. In a small food processor or blender add in the dressing ingredients and blend until smooth and emulsified. Set aside.
- Prepare the jars. Using two medium to large sized jars (at least 12 ounces) layer in the spinach, tomatoes, olives, cooled cooked potatoes, hard boiled egg halves, and capers.
- Refrigerate the salad jars and keep the dressing on the side until ready to serve.
- Once serving, divide the dressing between each jar, give the jars a good shake to distribute the dressing and enjoy!
Have a wonderful Sunday!