These keto caprese egg muffins are protein-packed egg muffins that work for a grab-and-go breakfast. They are packed with classic Italian flavors of tomatoes, basil, and cheddar cheese and take minutes to put together. With their low carb content and high protein levels, these little muffins will help keep you full throughout the morning.
All about Keto Caprese Egg Muffins
Caprese is a classic Italian salad made with fresh tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil leaves. It is seasoned with olive oil, salt, and pepper. The name originates from the colors of the Italian flag; red for the tomato, white for the mozzarella, and green for the basil. It is served as an appetizer or side dish but can also be enjoyed as a light meal on its own. This popular summer dish is light yet flavorful and takes minutes to prepare.
This recipe uses the flavors of a caprese salad in an egg muffin. They are loaded with protein and low in carbs, making them ideal for people on a keto diet. They are moist and filling with Italian flavor. You can make up a batch of these egg muffins ahead of time to enjoy all week long.
Ingredients You’ll Need for these Egg Muffins
- Fresh basil leaves
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Cherry tomatoes
- Ground black pepper
- Baking powder
How to Make Keto Caprese Egg Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease a 12-muffin pan with a few drops of oil and a paper towel. Make sure the bottoms and sides of the muffin pan get oiled. Set aside.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves or quarters. Chop the fresh basil leaves. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a medium-sized bowl. Add salt, black pepper, and baking powder and whisk to combine.
- Stir in the cherry tomatoes, basil, and cheddar cheese.
- Evenly divide the egg mixture into the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until the tops are golden.
- Remove from the oven and slide a knife around the edges of each muffin for easy unmolding.
Tips and Variations for this Recipe
To make the most of your egg muffin experience, here are some tips:
- Choose quality eggs, such as farm-fresh eggs if you have them.
- Substitute any semi-soft cheese that you like for the cheddar cheese.
- Bake in batches so you have a week’s worth of egg muffins.
- Enjoy with your favorite condiments, such as extra cheese, salsa, or avocado.
- Add a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top for more flavor.
- Enjoy as a take-away breakfast or with a fresh salad for lunch.
- For a Mexican twist, add jalapenos to the egg mixture. Top with a sprinkle of cilantro before baking.
- Try adding smoked salmon and cream cheese before baking.
- Add spinach, mushrooms, zucchini, or bell peppers into the egg mixture.