It’s a double whammy today!! Two recipes in one delicious dish! Of course, you can make the fish and the fries and enjoy them together, like I did, or separately!
I’m going to keep this post simple and to the point!
This meal was the lovely lunch I had yesterday. It was super easy to pull together and bursting with flavor! Sticking within the parameters of my Challenge meal plan, I got my protein from the fish and my carbohydrates from the sweet potatoes. I didn’t need to use any extra fat as I steamed the fish in lime juice, and baked the fries without any oil (because you really don’t need it, they are just as good without!).
I’ll start with the fries… these are easy as 1..2..3!
1. Wash and cut the potatoes.
2. Season the potatoes.
3. Bake the potatoes!
oh.. I guess there’s a ‘4’ too…
4. Devour the potatoes!!!
Easy as that! They are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, spicy, garlicky, flavorful, and oh soooo yummy! Love these!
Next for the fish!
Again, incredibly easy to make, the fish just needed to be seasoned, then placed in the pan with lime juice, steamed for literally just a few minutes, and voila! Done like dinner! Or lunch.. or even breakfast, whatever you prefer!
I’ve been playing around and searching the net for different spice mixtures and ideas to add flavor to dishes, so when I came across this one, I knew I had to try it!!
You can use any type of white fish you like for this recipe. I like cod because it is a bit heartier than tilapia, sole, or basa, and not as pricey as halibut.
All in all, a great, healthy, clean, diet friendly dish! This one will be a repeat for sure!
- For The Fish:
- 4 - 4oz Cod Filets
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (if you like the spice!)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- For The Fries:
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into thick strips
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the potatoes and lay evenly on a baking sheet. Sprinkle and toss with the spice mixture for the potatoes (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder) until well coated. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, flip once, and bake for an additional 10 minutes until crispy.
- Combine all the spices for the fish in a bowl.
- Sprinkle the cod with ½ of the spice and rub gently into the fish. Turn over and repeat for the other side.
- Pour lime juice in the bottom of a large skillet and heat to a light simmer.
- Put filets in skillet and cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes, covered.
- Remove lid and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until fish easily flakes.
*Fish recipe adapted from Bodybuilding.com
Stay tuned for more delicious recipes and updates on our challenge later this week on the blog!
(Oh… and please answer This Month’s Question.. on the right sidebar if you haven’t yet.. :))
Until next time!
Nutritionist in the Kitch