The other night my hubby told me he was craving cashew chicken so I took to the ol’ blogosphere for some inspiration and came across this delightful recipe from The Preppy Paleo and decided to give it a whirl, with some NITK twists of course!
I loved the fact that it was also a crock-pot recipe because this time of year, my slow-cooker gets a lot of use! It’s nice to have healthy, warm, hearty meals prepped in batches to enjoy for dinner and then take for lunches for the next couple days. It keeps me and the hubby on track, and we save money by eating our own lunches rather than buying them!
This chicken is a perfect combination of sweet and salty and isn’t overly saucy. We enjoyed the cashew chicken on a bed of quinoa-rice blend, and sprinkled it with green onions and a drizzle of spicy sriracha sauce.
By using gluten-free soy sauce, I was able to keep this dish gluten/wheat free and I used coconut palm sugar and organic honey-sweetened ketchup to keep the recipe free of refined sugars! Ginger and garlic add in that extra boost of flavour and the crunch of the cashews is the perfect “cherry on top”!
Overall, for being a recipe known to be generally on the more indulgent side (PF Chang’s Almond Cashew Chicken is a whopping 640 calories per serving (rice NOT included)) this recipe fits the nutritionally balanced bill. Definitely far from indulgent… but you wouldn’t know it by the taste!
Have you pulled out your slow-cooker yet?… if not, it’s time!
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch or arrowroot
- 1.5kg (approx 3lbs) raw skinless boneless chicken breast, diced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ⅓ cup gluten-free soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup naturally sweetened ketchup
- ⅓ cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ½ cup raw cashews, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Place tapioca in a large bowl, add chicken pieces and toss to thoroughly coat meat.
- Melt coconut oil in a large non-stick pan and add chicken and cook for about 5-7 minutes until brown on all sides.
- Remove chicken and add to crock pot.
- Mix remaining ingredients except for cashews in a bowl and pour the sauce mixture over the chicken and toss to coat.
- Put lid on crock pot and cook on high for 1-2 hours.
- Stir cashews into chicken and sauce before serving.
- Garnish with green onion and serve with rice and vegetables of choice.
Recipe adapted from The Preppy Paleo
Christal // NITK