What’s better than dark, delicious, antioxidant rich chocolate, coating a delicious ball of coconut, cashews, fresh strawberries, and sweet vanilla agave?!
Nothing. That’s what. ….nuuuuthin’!
New World Foods makes these magical little delights called “Bliss Balls” which I have been devouring since 2012. They recently started carrying this “coconut cream” variety at my local Planet Organic and with one bite, I was smitten.
While munching away on my bliss ball I thought to myself… “these can’t be that hard to recreate in the Kitch…” and the wheels started turning!
I gathered up the necessary ingredients, and spotted the fresh strawberries in my fridge… the perfect addition! I got to work!
I wasn’t exactly sure how the “coconut cream” would come to be, so I tossed 2 parts unsweetened shredded coconut to 1 part raw cashews in the Vitamix and started blending away. To bring in the sweetness I used vanilla Agave Nectar, and added a little bit of water to get a nice smooth consistency!
The “coconut cream” came to life in no time! I can’t believe how easy it was!
Next, I diced up the fresh strawberries into little pieces and combined it with the coconut filling. A perfect combo of healthy fruit, healthy fats, fiber, and love!
I had some locally made dark chocolate in the fridge (as I love to sneak a little nibble here and there), and I tossed it in a pan to melt. After the bliss balls had chilled for a bit, I rolled them in the melted chocolate… and voila! A recreation of the Coconut Cream Bliss Balls…. with strawberries!
Although I love New World Foods and their amazing Bliss Balls… I love the fact that it was incredibly easy to make my own version at home, which turned out to be a cheaper and (a teeny bit) healthier alternative!
Rich, creamy, chocolatey goodness with little bursts of juicy strawberries!
Thank you for the inspiration New World Foods!
- In a food processor or high speed blender (like a Vitamix) process cashews, coconut, and agave, you may need to add 1 tablespoon of water to get a moist "batter".
- You may also want to do this in a couple batches if using a narrow blender.
- Once processed, in a bowl, fold the fresh strawberries into the coconut cashew batter.
- Roll the batter into balls (10), and place on a cookie sheet.
- Place the cookie sheet in the freezer so the balls can set for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, heat a small pan over low heat and slowly melt the dark chocolate.
- Remove the balls from the freezer and roll them in the chocolate to coat, then set back on the pan.
- Do this until all the balls are coated with chocolate (the chocolate will harden very quickly once it comes in contact with the chilled balls.)
- Place the balls in the fridge or freezer for another 10 minutes to set.
- Store what's leftover...if any ;)... in the fridge or freezer!
Have a wonderful weekend! It’s bliss ball makin’ time!
Nutritionist in the Kitch