Since it’s Halloween tomorrow, I decided to create a healthy Halloween inspired treat for the blog! I’m not sure that caramel apples especially “halloweeny” (?), but that’s what instantly came to mind so… I went with it!
I got some amazing red delicious apples the other day – juicy, bright, crunchy, and crispy and knew they would be perfect for this treat!
Seeing as true caramel is basically a combination of sugar and butter, and that just wasn’t going to fly, I had to come up with my own healthified caramel concoction!
I’d made “caramel” before in my apple caramel pancakes – remember those? And it turned out great, so I went with the same method – using dates!
I wanted to make sure that the caramel turned out creamier and really stuck to the apples, so I used creamed coconut in the mix as well.
The coconut gave the caramel sauce this amazing flavour and richness – it turned out to be a perfect combination! After a few whisks in the bullet, the caramel sauce came to life.
It’s really amazing what dates can do! Not only do dates provide a natural sweetness that works in energy bars, ice cream, and even savoury dishes – they also contain a good amount of calcium and potassium, B vitamins, and dietary fibre!
I love making little bite size treats like my PB Banana Bites or the Healthy Turtles – so by putting the apple slices on popsicle sticks it created the whole “caramel apple” look and still kept these as individual bite size treats! Perfect for a halloween party!
I used “superfoods” as my “candy coatings” for the “caramel apples” ….whoa “quotation” “overload” …
The superfoods up the nutritional ante even more and also make these treats look so cute and appetizing! My superfood choices were ones that I already had hanging around in my pantry – goji berries, shredded unsweetened coconut, dried apricots, raw almonds, dark chocolate, and raw hemp seeds!
You could easily use any other kind of healthy topping you want – others I thought of would be chia seeds, chopped dried apple rings, raisins, walnuts, pistachios, puffed quinoa, crushed pretzels, natural graham crumbs… the list goes on!
These would definitely be a fun little treat to make with the kiddos, and they could enjoy using their own healthy toppings of choice to decorate the “caramel” dipped slices!
It’s all about using a little bit of imagination and keeping health a priority! These are the perfect halloween treat that won’t be creating any cavities or tummy aches – as they say, an apple a day… right?!
- ½ cup pitted dates
- ¼ cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter or creamed coconut
- 2 - 3 organic apples, each cut into 8 slices
- Superfood toppings of choice - goji berries, nuts, hemp seeds, dark chocolate, dried fruits, coconut, etc.
- Popsicle sticks
- Add dates to a bowl and boil water.
- Pour water over the dates and allow to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Once soaked transfer dates and soaking water to a small food processor or magic bullet.
- Add in coconut butter or creamed coconut.
- Blend until very smooth - you may need to add a little more water, but you do not want the mixture to be runny.
- Cut apples and skewer each apple slice carefully with a popsicle stick.
- Dip one half of each apple slice in the date "caramel" mixture to coat, and roll in the preferred topping so it sticks to the caramel.
- Place apple on a plate and repeat with the rest of the slices.
- Once finished place the apples in the freezer to set for 30 minutes.
Have a fantastic day, and a Happy Halloween!
Nutritionist in the Kitch