You totally saw this one coming didn’t you?!
It dawned on me that I hadn’t attempted pumpkin ice cream as I was looking through all my other pumpkin inspired recipes … and I thought, well, I have no other choice but to make some!
I took out my trusty vitamix and went to work!
That’s right, just the blender! I don’t have an ice cream maker so this is my method – first the blender, then I use the food processor, and my freezer of course!
I decided to use agave as a sweetener for this batch to keep it vegan, but honey or pure maple syrup would work just as well! Pumpkin puree gives the ice cream that classic pumpkin flavour along with the perfect amount of pumpkin pie spices!
I used canned organic full fat coconut milk (my favourite dairy free option for making ice cream), and blended it all up in the Vitamix! So rich, creamy, dreamy and delicious …the blended mixture went into a pan and then into the freezer to set!
Once frozen I just broke up the frozen pumpkin ice cream and let it whirl in the food processor to create a creamy scoop-able consistency!
This ice cream is velvety and rich, spicy from the cinnamon and nutmeg, and oh so delicious! I served some to the in-laws for a taste-test and it passed with flying colours!
The light orange hue and the slight scent of pumpkin also makes this ice cream unmistakably perfect for Fall!
How could you not want to enjoy this as a sweet yet healthy dessert??
With no refined sugars, colours, or additives, and just simple, wholesome ingredients this vegan ice cream is a treat anyone can enjoy! Unless you don’t like pumpkin – then you won’t enjoy it …. but pumpkin doesn’t like you either, so there. 😉
I think this ice cream would make the perfect Thanksgiving dessert for your guests next Sunday (for those of you celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving)! It’s a change from the traditional pumpkin pie, and still super delicious!
Or, what the heck, serve this ON TOP of your healthy homemade pumpkin pie (this crustless recipe is from my gal Kristine over at Busy But Healthy), that would be a double-whammie your guests would be talking about for ages!
No matter what, you must make it!
Oh, and just an FYI, the servings are G E N E R O U S ! You could easily split the batch by 6 to cut down on the calorie content a little more if you prefer!
- 1 can full-fat organic coconut milk
- ¼ to ⅓ cup pumpkin puree (depending on how pumpkin-y you want it!)
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar (or honey or pure maple syrup)
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- In a blender combine all ingredients, and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a container and freeze for 3 hours.
- Remove frozen mixture from container, into large chunks and place in a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. You may need to stop and scrape the mixture with a spatula several times.
- Smooth the "ice cream" into a loaf pan and place in the freezer for 1 hour to set.
- Scoop and enjoy!
Have a wonderful rest of your Sunday!