If you have never had a Hail Merry tart you a) need to find one and devour it or b) (if ‘a’ is a no-go) need to make these tarts on my blog because they are pretty darn close!
These tarts are rich, creamy, dreamy, sweet, decadent and just…wow, and they are literally made with 6 ingredients or less, are dairy, gluten, grain, refined sugar, and anything artificial FREE! Not a single questionable ingredient in sight!
After having two… or maybe three tarts (shared with my travelling buddies of course!) throughout the week, I came home on a mission to make my own version of the Hail Merry tart so I could enjoy it at home, not just while travelling to places with a Whole Foods Market.
Using just almond flour, shredded unsweetened coconut, vanilla, sea salt, and coconut oil for the crust I made two different tarts equally as delicious and healthy!
Dark Chocolate, with it’s rich decadent cocoa fudge-like filling, and Fruit Filled with a simple, sweet, natural plum jam (which we got from one of the wineries we visited in Napa) mixed with coconut oil to firm up the filling and fresh berries to top!
I couldn’t believe how close the Dark Chocolate tart tasted to the Hail Merry chocolate tart I love, and the fruit tart tasted different (in a good way) and delightfully light and fresh!
It’s always a fun experience to experiment in the kitch creating different dessert recipes that don’t contain dairy and are free of refined sugars. With all the fantastic whole-food ingredients available now it’s really a question as to why you’d even use the refined stuff anymore! I don’t miss it one teeny tiny bit!
I loved how well the crust came together! It would make a perfect base for several different variations of tarts! I’m already brainstorming the different creations that would make perfect Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring desserts! Pumpkin tart, lime tart, cranberry tart, chocolate orange tart, vanilla chai tart… ooooh the possibilities are endless!
What would you choose to make for a healthy, delicious, fun tart filling? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
- Crust Ingredients:
- ⅔ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil, warmed to a liquid
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Dark Chocolate Filling:
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, warmed to a liquid
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 heaping tablespoons raw cocoa powder
- Fruit Filling:
- 2 tablespoons natural fruit jam of choice
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil, warmed to a liquid
- fresh berries to top
- In a bowl mix together crust ingredients. Using individual mini pie molds (2) divide the crust between each mold and press evenly to the bottom and sides. Place in the freezer to set for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile stir together each of the filling ingredients in separate bowls. Once the tart crusts are set, pour the filling into each tart and place back in the freezer for 20 minutes to set.
- Garnish with cocoa powder, shredded coconut, berries, and enjoy!
Have a beautiful Sunday!
Nutritionist in the Kitch