Wow! It’s not pumpkin!
I know I’ve gone a little overboard with the pumpkin as of late – so I decided to change it up and go to some different Fall flavors that are just as yummy! Apples & Cinnamon!
I’ve been on an energy bar/ball/bite kick lately and I have been trying to make some different variations as they are PERFECT snacks for my delivery clients, and myself! I can easily fit these into my macros for pre or post workout and I love how easy they are to make!
I wanted to really put the flavors of ‘apple pie’ into an energy snack so I came up with a great combo of ingredients!
Into the food processor goes…
Dried apple rings (unsweetened of course) and dates!
….then a couple big dollops of almond butter, almonds, cinnamon, and nutmeg!
…some chopped gala apple (I figured I should put two types of apple in there to really get that flavor to shine through!) and natural vanilla protein powder to balance out all those carbs (this is definitely optional, and you can always keep it vegan by going with a vegan protein powder or omitting it altogether!)
Whirl it all up, and you can seriously smell ‘apple pie’ in the air!
I decided to give my apple pie balls a “crust” by rolling them in oats mixed with a little dash of coconut palm sugar!
These little energy balls are 90 calories each and full of fantastic fast-digesting carbs for a quick energy fix before heading to the gym or going for a run, or just to fuel you up mid day!
I was actually shocked at how apple-y these little guys turned out! You can even see the little red flecks of apple skin in them!
These energy balls store great in the freezer and I just tossed them into little ziploc containers for my delivery clients (and myself!).
They also make a perfect take-to-school snack for the kiddies!
I’ve said it time and time again – why spend so much on packaged energy bars when you can really make your own at home for half the price?! 🙂
It’s worth the little bit of extra time, and you KNOW EXACTLY what’s in them!
I’m still looking for more inspiration for other flavors of energy bars/balls/bites – so feel free to send your ideas/favorites my way!
- 1 cup dried unsweetened apple rings (75g)
- 1 cup packed pitted dates (140g) (soak in hot water for 10-15 minutes then drain before processing)
- ½ cup raw almonds (75g)
- 2 tablespoons raw almond butter (30g)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (110g) (optional, I used whey isolate, you can omit or use a vegan protein powder as well!)
- 1 small gala apple, chopped (100g)
- 1 teaspoon organic coconut palm sugar (optional - for rolling the balls in with the oats!)
- ¼ cup rolled oats (40g) (gluten free if needed!)
- Soak dates in hot water for 10-15 minutes to soften, then drain.
- Add dates, apple rings, almonds, almond butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, protein powder, and chopped apple to a food processor and process for 3-5 minutes.
- You should have a sticky but mostly smooth batter.
- On a large plate spread out the oats and coconut palm sugar.
- Scoop the batter out into a bowl and using a tablespoon measure, scoop a portion and roll into a ball using the palms of your hands. It sometimes helps to have wet hands if the batter is extra sticky.
- Once you have made a little ball, roll the ball into the oats/sugar to coat, and place the ball on a cookie sheet covered in wax/parchment paper.
- Do this with the rest of the batter to make 18 balls.
- Place in the freezer to set for 1-2 hours.
- Store the rest of the balls in the freezer for a quick and easy snack!
Have a fantastic Sunday!
Christal // Nutrition in the Kitch