These super simple, delicious, and healthy chocolate pumpkin seed butter cups are dairy free, gluten free, vegan, and nut free. A decadent guilt-free treat!
Let’s Make Chocolate Pumpkin Seed Butter Cups
You might already know that I’m a big fan of dark chocolate. It’s one of my favourite treats and I enjoy it regularly… almost daily to precise. There’s nothing wrong with a little dark chocolate as it’s rich in antioxidants and does wonders to curb a sugar craving!
If there’s anything better than a few squares of rich dark chocolate, it’s dark chocolate in a cup filled with peanut butter or in this case homemade pumpkin seed butter! This delicious treat is so easy to make and is great to have on hand when you get a hankering for something sweet.
Why Pumpkin Seed Butter Cups?
This fun twist on a traditional chocolate peanut butter cup is made with my simple homemade pumpkin seed butter. Many individuals deal with nut allergies and unfortunately can’t safely enjoy peanut butter cups, and often schools and daycares have no-nut policies, so these pumpkin seed butter cups are a great alternative to the traditional version. Even without the peanut butter they have an amazing rich chocolatey flavour and a smooth, creamy filling.
Pumpkin seed butter is also a really healthy alternative to peanut butter. It’s a great source of minerals including magnesium and iron, and also contains vitamins, protein, and omega-rich fats. In fact, just 1 tablespoon of pumpkin seed butter has 5g of protein!
Ingredients in Pumpkin Seed Butter Cups
To make these delicious chocolate cups you only need three main ingredients. That’s it, that’s all my friends! While I highly recommend using my homemade pumpkin seed butter for this recipe, if you don’t want to bother making your own, you can simply buy a pumpkin seed butter from the store.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 70% dark chocolate chips or chunks
- Coconut oil
- Maple cinnamon pumpkin seed butter (or store-bought pumpkin seed butter you can mix with pure maple syrup and ground cinnamon)
How To Make The Best Chocolate Cups
To make the best chocolate to butter ratio when it comes to chocolate cups, I have come up with my 3-step trick!
1. First pour melted dark chocolate into a muffin liner that’s in a muffin tin, then before adding the nut or seed butter filling, you take your finger or a small spoon and swirl the chocolate around so that it makes a thin layer of chocolate along the inner edge of the muffin liner about 1 cm deep.
2. Next you add in the nut or seed butter filling and press it down slightly so that you can see a thin layer of that chocolate surrounding the outer edge of the peanut butter filling.
3. Then when you pour the remaining chocolate on the top of the peanut butter filling, it will envelope it and voila! a perfectly portioned chocolate butter cup!
If you browse the internet or Pinterest you can find so many healthier homemade alternatives to your favourite candy or chocolate bar treats these days, it’s awesome! These chocolate pumpkin seed butter cups are definitely worth trying if you are big Reese’s peanut butter cup fan, or if you wish you could have a chocolate peanut butter cup but have a nut allergy.
Do you ever make your own healthier homemade chocolate bar “knock-offs”? I’d love to read about it in the comments! Also, be sure to pin the photo below the recipe to save this one for later and share the love!
More Healthier Chocolate Treats You’ll Love:
Have a great day,
Christal // NITK