So this bread was a bit of an afterthought after I had made that delicious Turkey, Sweet Potato, & Kale Chili the other day…. it’s a good thing I have leftovers because THIS bread, and THAT chili = a romance made in flavour heaven!
Apples and cheddar just go well together – it’s something about the sweet tangy apple and the savoury salty cheddar that just makes magic!
I bought a big bag of Bob’s Red Mill gluten free flour, and I’ve been wanting to make different things with it every day! Last time it was the gingersnaps, and so I decided to do a bread with it this time!
(I did end up making more cookies too which I’ll be posting on the blog next!)
This Apple & Cheddar Loaf brought back memories of the Vegan Cornbread I made a while back, with the warm, savory and sweet combination of flavours! Perfection!
It seems like a very Fall/Winter appropriate bread too, as it is super hearty and makes the perfect accompaniment to a warm and comforting chili or stew!
Topped with some raw honey, and then heated up so the honey gets nice and runny and soaks into the bread, and the cheese in the bread get’s melty….drool.
Yup. Imma eat that!
It’s funny I used to find the task of baking bread so daunting – I guess it came from growing up and seeing my mom make loaves of homemade bread in the bread maker. The whole kneading and waiting for it to rise, and waiting, and then baking, and then waiting more…ugh exhausting!
I’m definitely a big fan of this kind of bread that doesn’t need yeast, and comes together in less than 40 minutes!
You know me, I like simple, and I like quick!
The crunchy crust on the top of this bread is the “cherry on top”! I let the loaf broil for the last few minutes in the oven just to get that extra crisp on the top, and it turned out wonderfully!
So… what kind of yummy and healthy stew/chili are you going to make to go with this delicious Apple & Cheddar Loaf?!
- ¾ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill brand)
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum (I used Bob's Red Mill brand)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ tablespoon dried sage
- 1 large egg
- 2-3 tablespoons milk of choice (I used almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 cup unpeeled chopped granny smith apple
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sage.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs, milk, honey, and olive oil.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring to combine. Add apples and cheese and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove pan from oven and place on a cooling rack 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Cool completely before slicing.
- Spread with raw honey, and enjoy!
*Recipe adapted from Key Ingredient
Also, today is Remembrance Day here in Canada, and I always take a moment to think of those who fought for our freedom! We are so blessed!
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders Fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders Fields.
Nutritionist in the Kitch