These keto cheese bagels are made with almond flour, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, eggs, and olive oil. With their low-carb ingredients and high protein content, this snack will fuel your day. And you can make them in under an hour.
All about Keto Cheese Bagels
This recipe for keto cheese bagels are made with low-carb ingredients that give them a cheesy flavor. You can prepare them in no time for those busy days when you don’t have time to spend hours in the kitchen. You can eat the bagels for breakfast, lunch, or snack. Add chicken salad, tuna salad, scrambled eggs, avocado, or another favorite filling.
Texture-wise, they aren’t cheesy. This recipe uses mozzarella cheese as a binder, then they’re topped with cheddar cheese. The almond flour gives them a nutty taste while the cheeses provide a savory kick.
Ingredients You’ll Need for this Recipe
- Almond flour
- Dried oregano, optional
- Baking powder
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded or in cubes
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make Keto Cheese Bagels
- Preheat your oven to 320 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl. Add baking powder, apple cider vinegar, dried oregano, and salt. Mix and set aside.
- Add the mozzarella cheese and olive oil to a saucepan. Heat and stir over medium heat on the stove until it melts. You can also melt the mozzarella and olive oil in the microwave.
- Pour the beaten eggs and melted mozzarella into a high-speed food processor. Pulse to combine until you have a smooth batter.
- Transfer the batter to a medium bowl and add the almond flour. Stir until a soft dough forms.
- To form each bagel, shape 1/6th of the dough into a ball. Press it down until it flattens a bit. Then make a hole in the middle. It is helpful to grease your hands with a bit of oil so it doesn’t stick to your hands too much.
- Set each bagel on the prepared baking tray.
- Beat an egg yolk and brush it on the bagels to give them a golden appearance.
- Sprinkle the bagels with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 320 degrees F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Use the toothpick test to check if they are baked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before transferring.
Tips and Variations for this Recipe
Follow these tips and try these variations for the best keto cheese bagels:
- Once cooked, let the bagels cool before cutting in half and serving.
- Experiment with different types of low-carb flours, such as coconut flour or sesame flour.
- Try adding seeds or nuts to the outside of your keto bagels for added texture and flavor. Sesame, chia, hemp, poppy, sunflower, or pumpkin seeds are all great options for topping your bagels prior to baking.
- Toast your keto cheese bagels with some butter or enjoy them plain.
- Top them with cream cheese, avocado slices, pesto, or smoked salmon for added flavor and nutrition.
Keto Cheese Bagels FAQs
Are keto cheese bagels a good snack?
Yes, keto cheese bagels are an excellent snack for those following the low-carb/keto lifestyle. They provide the chewiness of a regular bagel without the carbs. Plus, they’re packed with protein and healthy fats to keep you full and satisfied.
Are these keto cheese bagels gluten free?
Yes, these bagels are gluten free because they contain almond flour instead of wheat-based flour.
How do I store leftover keto cheese bagels?
You can keep these bagels in a Ziploc bag at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to a week. After a few days, they might lose their tenderness. To improve their texture, reheat them before serving.
Other Bread Recipes
- Keto Focaccia Bread
- Best Ever High Protein Banana Bread
- Herbed Yogurt Spelt Flatbreads
- Keto Cloud Bread