Mint Chocolate Green Protein Smoothie for Everyone!
We have been thoroughly enjoying our time here in Maui and I hope you have been thoroughly enjoying the recipe revamp posts I’ve been sharing on the blog while I’m away. Today I’m bringing the spotlight back onto this delicious and healthy Mint Chocolate Green Protein Smoothie recipe that I originally shared on Nutrition in the Kitch waaayyy back in March of 2013.
I made this recipe as a themed recipe for St. Patrick’s Day, and yes in honour of the date, I’m sharing it again… but in a much prettier way (the old photos are hilarious!). I’ve heard people call this green smoothie for St. Patrick’s Day a “shamrock shake” so this can definitely fall under that category too because it’s a kind of a shake (a smoothie) and has beautiful bright green hue.
The special ingredient that gives this smoothie it’s bright green colour is my favourite smoothie leafy green, spinach. I am always amazed at how much spinach I can pack into a smoothie just like this one and actually not taste it at all! It’s such a subtle ingredient that blends so well with fruits in a smoothie that you really don’t even know it’s there aside from the colour, and even the colour can be masked easily with fruits like raspberries and blueberries.
With the combination of chocolate protein powder, frozen banana, spinach, almond milk, coconut nectar (or honey), peppermint extract, and chopped dark chocolate this smoothie tastes sweet, rich, and chocolaty and not as if it contains any leafy greens at all!
I got a little creative with my styling when I revamped this recipe and decided to create this pretty chocolate swirl on the glass and over the top of the smoothie. This is definitely not necessary and a step that can be skipped right by if you are short for time!
Since doing my 10-day Green Smoothie Cleanse last month I’ve been enjoying more green smoothies than ever before and so has everyone in my family. This mint chocolate green protein smoothie is no exception and I’m happy that Hemsley loves it as much as I do. The more ways I can sneak veggies into that little one the better, she’s definitely in that picky toddler stage so vegetables can be a struggle.
This mint chocolate green protein smoothie is really so easy to put together:
1. Assemble your ingredients
2. Pop them all into the blender and blend away until a thick, smooth consistency is reached…. and
3. Sprinkle with chopped dark chocolate (and do the swirl if you want to get really fancy)!
Delicious, a healthy, all natural green smoothie that tastes like dessert. What’s not to love?
Do you make green smoothies often? What combinations are your favourite? I’d love to read about it in the comments below. Also, be sure to pin the photo below the recipe to save this smoothie for later and of course, share the love!
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (any plant-based brand works, I prefer Genuine Health or Sun Warrior)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 medium banana (frozen banana works best, peel and freeze ahead of time)
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- ¼ tsp pure peppermint extract or 1 mint leaf
- 4 ice cubes
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut nectar or honey (for non-vegan)
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free chopped dark chocolate
- Optional: 2 tablespoons melted dark chocolate to create the chocolate swirl on the glass and on the top of the smoothie.
- Blend all ingredients except the dark chocolate.
- The mixture will be rather thick so make sure you have a good blender
- If you prefer a thinner consistency, add more almond milk.
- Garnish with the chopped dark chocolate.
- Swirl with dark chocolate if desired (see notes)
Have a lovely Sunday and…Aloha!
Christal // NITK