A green smoothie! There’s no better day for this than St. Patty’s Day of course!!
And for any of you that went out last night and filled up on green beer… this green smoothie is great for that “detoxing” your body is in need of today!
I love my protein smoothies, and have been experimenting with tons of different variations. This one was absolutely delicious, and full of nutrients!
The ingredient that gives this smoothie it’s bright green hue is spinach! Green smoothies are nothing new, so I know you aren’t wowed by the fact that I used spinach..
BUT, with the combination of all the other ingredients, I think it’s pretty neat that you can’t taste the spinach at all, and instead this smoothie tastes like a rich combination of mint and chocolate. YUM!
This smoothie is easy as 1-2-3 to put together!
1. Assemble your ingredients
2. Pop them all into the blender and blend away until a thick, smooth consistency is reached…. and
3. Sprinkle with dark chocolate chips!
… then devour!
Nom nom nom. A healthy, clean, all natural smoothie that tastes like dessert. What’s not to love?!
I made this smoothie last week, but I will be making it again today, and I’m going to try it with KALE instead of spinach!! I think it will turn out just as good, so fingers crossed and we will see!
My version of this protein shake is not vegan, as I use my favorite North Coast Naturals 100% Whey protein isolate… but for those who wish it to be vegan, that’s a very easy fix! You can easily substitute a soy, rice, or hemp chocolate protein powder instead!
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I use North Coast Naturals 100% Whey Isolate)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 medium banana (peeled, cut into sections, and frozen)
- ½ cup fresh or frozen spinach (I used the frozen chunks)
- ¼ tsp pure peppermint extract
- 3-4 ice cubes
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon pure dark chocolate chips
- Blend all ingredients except the chocolate chips. The mixture will be very thick so make sure you have a good blender ! If you prefer a thinner consistency, add more almond milk. (I like to eat mine with a spoon!)
- Garnish with the dark chocolate chips.
Do you make smoothies a lot? What combinations are your favorite??
I’d love to hear some more ideas for smoothies, as I have two a day!
Nutritionist in the Kitch