I’m still dreaming of the wonderful days we enjoyed in British Columbia on our holiday last week – not that I don’t love my home – I just LOVE the beauty of BC, the weather, the mountains, the lakes.. and oh yeah.. the fresh amazing fruit!
I’ve been on a mad hunt for apricots since we got home and haven’t found any, but I have been able to track down some delicious stone fruit…peaches and nectarines!
The other evening I made a simple salad with jerk spiced chicken and peaches, and then a day later I made a simple stir-fry with bell peppers and nectarines (sounds weird but trust me it was delish!).
I knew I wanted to make another summer ice-cream type treat this week as we are nearing the end of summer (nooooooooooo) and I need to take advantage of the heat while we still have it here!
I decided to put some delicious peaches and nectarines as well as some dried apricots (they actually add a great texture as opposed to using fresh which I was originally hoping for) to good use and make some creamsicles!
Not just any creamsicles though….
Healthy, low-calorie, refined-sugar free, super tasty, doesn’t-actually-contain-any-cream protein creamsicles!!
Yep… these little babies are 42 calories each! Wooo! And they only contain 5g of all natural fruit sugars, 4g of protein, and zero-fat! Not that fat is a bad thing by any means, I sure love my healthy fats, but hey, for a light, quick, sweet, guilt free summery treat, these sure fit the bill!
I always seem to eat the deliciousness while I photograph.. my camera is getting pretty smudgey to be honest, but it’s all part of the fun!
See the little apricot chunks in the creamsicles?! Those are what it’s alllll about!
Oh and one more fantastic thing about these heavenly stone-fruit creamsicles…
..only FIVE ingredients!
(The xanthan gum makes 6, but it’s not a ‘needed’ ingredient, I just added it to make the creamsicle base extra thick and creamy – they work just fine without it if you don’t have any!)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (1/4 cup) I use North Coast Naturals vanilla whey - you can easily use a vanilla flavor vegan protein powder as well, and a GF one if needed.
- 1 large donut peach, sliced (95g) (you can use a regular peach as well)
- 1 large nectarine sliced (150g)
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 6 dried apricots
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum (optional) (I use Bob's Red Mill all natural - which is GF)
- In a blender combine protein powder, peach, nectarine, almond milk, xanthan gum (this makes the mixture thicker and creamier but is not imperative) and about 6 cubes of ice. Blend until smooth.
- Add in dried apricots and pulse a few times until the apricots are in small chunks.
- Pour mixture into a small popsicle mold and place a popsicle stick in each mold.
- Freeze for 1-2 hours until firm.
Have a wonderful weekend!!
Nutritionist in the Kitch