It’s a lovely summer Sunday, a perfect day to relax on the deck and enjoy the weather and some healthy ice cream. Wait, what?? Something doesn’t sound right there… “healthy” ice cream you say? YES! That’s right! I am so excited about this lovely little recipe and wonderful discovery!
I first heard about banana ice cream quite a while ago and thought “no way, can’t be, must taste like crap!”. Well I put my money where my mouth is and gave this little recipe a try, and what do you know, it’s darn DELICIOUS! This recipe is so great because it’s gives you the opportunity to be creative and create many different healthy and delicious flavors from one ingredient… frozen banana! All you do, is pop some cut up banana pieces into the freezer for a few hours, then, once frozen, put the banana in a food processor and blend. As you watch the banana change form, it slowly turns into a creamy, velvety, rich ice cream consistency! Honestly you wouldn’t know the difference! Then, to make it your own, you can add any other ingredient you like – strawberries, light coconut milk, mango, peanut butter, maple syrup, blueberries, coffee grinds, cocoa powder, you get the idea.
I love peanut butter (in moderation), so that was my ingredient of choice to add. Then I topped the delicious “ice cream” with walnut crumbs and yum yum yum!! This recipe is SO easy and such a great alternative to real ice cream which is always laden with fat, refined sugar, and lots of times other weird ingredients!
- 2 large bananas, cut into ½" pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar-free peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts (optional)
- Cut banana into pieces, place in the freezer for 3 hours or so, do not leave overnight or they will be too frozen and could wreck your blender/processor!
- Once banana pieces are frozen, blend them in food processor until they are the consistency of soft-serve ice cream.
- Blend in peanut butter and transfer to freezer container, and freeze until desired consistency (an hour or so for typical ice cream texture).
- Garnish with walnuts or anything else your heart desires!
This “ice cream” is so wonderfully sweet from the natural sugars in the banana, there is NO need to add any sugar! It’s healthy, delicious, and an absolutely guilt-free dessert!
Nutritionist in the Kitch