We have had some crazy hot weather lately, and I am not complaining! It’s not often we get heat like this here in Edmonton, so I am taking it all in, one bead of sweat at a time! So I thought, in honor of this heat, I’d make some of my favorite Mexican food … tacos!
I LOVE Mexican food, and here in Edmonton we do not have a whole lot of it… I’m not referring to Taco Bell (YUK!), I mean like real, good, authentic Mexican. There is one restaurant, Tres Carnales Taqueria, that makes some really amazing, authentic tasting Mexican food, and I recommend anyone in E-town go give it a try if you haven’t already.
But, if you aren’t going to head out, and you want to try making some on your own, here is a recipe I have perfected over time! I also recommend you try this recipe because its nutritionist approved! Tacos can really go either way, they can be light, healthy, and nutritious, or they can also be high calorie, heavy, and hard on the waistline! These are light, nutritious, and BURSTING with flavor! They take a little time as there are a few different components, but these can all be made ahead of time for quick taco assembly!
The tacos are comprised of 5 main components; the corn tortillas, the shrimp, the black bean spread, the salsa, and the extra garnishes. First I always start by marinating the shrimp in a mix of cumin, cayenne, chili flakes, salt and pepper, and lime juice. I leave the marinating shrimp in the fridge while making the other components.
Next, I move on to the Black Bean Spread.
- ¾ cup black beans
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne
- pinch of chili flakes
- ½ lime
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped finely
- Rinse black beans under cold water. Place into a bowl.
- Mix in spices and lime juice.
- Mash beans with a fork until it is the consistency of a paste. If the mixture seems too dry, add some more lime juice.
- Mix in chopped cilantro. Set aside until assembly of tacos.
- 2 medium tomatoes (I like to use vine tomatoes)
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ lime
- ½ jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (optional – if you like spice, use it, if you don’t, dont!)
- salt and pepper, about ½ teaspoon of each, more if you prefer
- Chop tomato, onion, cilantro, jalapeno and garlic and mix together in a bowl.
- Squeeze in lime juice, add salt and pepper and mix well. Let sit in the refrigerator until ready to use. (I find the flavors get better over time so try to even make the salsa the day before if you can!)
Alright, now we are ready to assemble. Here’s the full recipe!
- 12 tiger shrimp
- 4 fresh corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper, each
- ½ lime
- ¼ cup Salsa (recipe)
- ¼ cup Black Bean Spread (recipe)
- ½ avocado, sliced (garnish)
- 4 tablespoons plain 0% fat Greek yogurt (garnish)
- Combine spices, salt and pepper, and lime juice in a bowl. Toss in raw shrimp to coat, let marinate in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.
- Prepare Black Bean Spread.
- Prepare Fresh Salsa.
- Grill shrimp on BBQ for 4-5 minutes or until pink and cooked through. Set aside.
- Grill tortillas on BBQ for 1-2 minutes, or until slightly browned on edges.
- Chop shrimp into small bite size pieces. Assemble tacos - place bean spread, shrimp, and salsa on tacos.
- Garnish with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream), a squeeze of lime, and a sprinkle of cilantro.
- Dig in!