Today is officially Father’s Day which means June is already half over…this month is flying by! I hope you have had the chance to get outside, go for sunshine-filled walks, morning or evening runs, maybe a bike ride here and there, or even enjoy the beach or lake if there is one nearby. Above all, I hope you have been taking advantage of the nice weather to fire up the grill. Because friends, grilling season has officially begun (in my opinion grilling season officially starts ON Father’s Day, ha!), and there is no limit to delicious (and healthy) eats you can grill to perfection.
Today I’m sharing a recipe revamp of one of my favourite grilled eats… corn on the cob! My Summer Grilled Corn Salad with Avocado, Cilantro and Lime is seriously to die for!
I love the taste of lightly “charred” corn, and a grilled corn salad makes the perfect side to a quick and easy dinner.
Corn is an interesting food, it’s actually a vegetable, grain, and a fruit! This little hybrid is a great source of dietary fibre, brain-boosting B vitamins, and magnesium. I have always been a fan of corn but due to the high amounts of GMO corn in the market I do my best to get locally produced organic corn that is not genetically modified.
This recipe is super simple, and truly fool-proof. I basted the corn with a little bit of vegan butter (I use Earth Balance brand), sprinkled it with salt and wrapped it in tinfoil for the grill. Easy-peasy.
I kept the BBQ on low and let the corn cook away while getting a light charring and once it was done I simply cut the kernels from the cob and added them to a big bowl. I then tossed in some chopped red onion, diced avocado, cilantro, a generous squeeze of fresh lime juice, pepper, and a pinch more of salt.
Each simple and delicious flavour shines through while the grilled corn remains the star of the dish. I love this salad because I always end up having some leftovers and the leftovers work great for garnishing tacos, other greens salads, or even mixing with rice!
Or you can simply save the leftovers to enjoy the next day for lunch as it always tastes even better after all the flavours had more time to meld together!
Are you a fan of corn? What’s your favourite way to prepare it? I’d love to read about it in the comments below!
- 3 cobs corn, preferably organic
- ½ tablespoon organic butter or vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
- juice of ½ lime
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup diced cilantro
- ⅓ cup diced avocado (ripe, but still firm)
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- Wrap each cob in tin foil and grill on the BBQ for 15 - 20 minutes rotating frequently. Check intermittently to see how the corn is cooking as every grill varies in heat. The corn should be lightly charred in areas and just cooked.
- Once cooked, using a large knife, cut the kernels from the cob and add to a bowl.
- Stir in the butter/earthbalance, lime juice, salt, pepper, cilantro, and red onion and toss to coat. Gently stir in the diced avocado, being careful not to mash the avocado.
- The corn should still be warm enough to melt the butter/earthbalance.
- Enjoy immediately or chill for later.
Have a fantastic Sunday and Happy Father’s Day!
Also, be sure to pin this recipe below to save it for later: