Who knew you could pack some extra protein into a delicious little coconut macaroon?!
Yes, it’s possible, and my, oh my, it’s yummy!
This little macaroons are made with 5 simple ingredients! Instead of refined caster sugar you’d find in the traditional coconut macaroon, these use stevia and raw honey! If you aren’t a stevia fan you can always use another unrefined sugar like coconut palm sugar or cane sugar.
Unsweetened shredded coconut makes up the bulk of the recipe and gives these macaroons that intense coconut taste. Coconut is a great source of dietary fibre, zinc, iron, and healthy fats – we all know and love coconut oil! 🙂
Then, the kicker… protein powder!
Yup, why not add a little pop of protein to these yummy treats?!
I used North Coast Naturals vanilla whey isolate, and for those who need dairy free, a vegan protein powder will do just fine too! Using the protein powder gives these macaroons a perfectly balanced ratio of fats proteins and carbohydrates – 5g each per macaroon!
Not into using protein powder? Just sub in some almond flour instead! (although, if you do this, you’ll want to double the sweetener!)
Not only are these macaroons nicely balanced, they are only 72 calories each!
That’s my kinda treat!
Are you a macaroon fan?
What other twists have you seen made to these classic treats?
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Place egg whites, stevia, and honey into a bowl and beat until frothy.
- Add protein powder and shredded coconut and stir until completely coated.
- Set mixture aside for 5 minutes so that the liquid is well absorbed into the coconut.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a spoon place mounds spaced apart on baking sheet to make 15 macaroons.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
*recipe adapted from the lovely DAMY Health
Have a lovely Tuesday!
Christal // NITK