These keto pistachio thumbprint cookies are made with almond flour, sweetened with erythritol, and covered in crushed pistachios for an extra crunch. Inside each cookie is a homemade raspberry jam filling that provides a tangy flavor to these treats.
Enjoy these keto pistachio thumbprint cookies as a sweet treat when you’re following a keto or low-carb lifestyle. The base of the cookie is made from almond flour, melted coconut oil, erythritol, and chopped pistachios, and a homemade raspberry jam fills the thumbprint. The pistachios in the recipe add an extra crunchy texture and a nutty flavor that complements the sweetness of the jam. And the coconut oil helps to keep these cookies moist and chewy.
Almond flour is a good source of protein and fiber, pistachios are rich in antioxidants and vitamins, and raspberries provide additional antioxidants. The only added sweetener is erythritol which has minimal calories and impact on blood sugar levels.
Ingredients You’ll Need for this Recipe:
For the cookie base:
- Almond flour
- Melted coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
- Pistachios, chopped
For the raspberry jam filling:
- Fresh or frozen raspberries
How to Make Keto Pistachio Thumbprint Cookies:
Prepare the cookies:
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Beat the egg in a medium-sized bowl. Add the vanilla extract, salt, erythritol, and melted coconut oil. Whisk to combine.
- Add the almond flour and mix. You want a moist and easy-to-work-with dough.
- Roll the dough into 20 balls.
- Coat each ball with the chopped pistachios, pressing them down so they “stick” to the cookie dough.
- Place each ball on the prepared baking tray, leaving 1 ½ inches between each ball.
- Use a 1/2 teaspoon or your thumb to press an indentation into each ball. Pinch together any large cracks around the sides of each cookie. Set aside.
Make the jam:
- Place the raspberries in a medium-sized pan. Heat over medium heat and use a spoon to crush the raspberries.
- Add the erythritol and stir until combined.
- Continue to cook on medium heat without stirring until it starts to thicken. This will take a couple of minutes depending on the size of the pan.
- Allow it to cool to room temperature.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 320 degrees F (160 degrees C). When the jam is at room temperature, fill each cookie with 1/2 teaspoon of jam.
Bake the cookies:
- Bake the cookies for 13 to 14 minutes or until the base and sides are golden.
- Because baking time is relative to the oven, check the cookies after the first 10 minutes of baking and rotate the tray to bake evenly.
Tips and Variations for these Cookies
For the best keto pistachio thumbprint cookies, try these tips and variations:
- Use ground pistachios instead of almond flour for a different nutty flavor.
- Replace the erythritol with ⅔ cups of sugar or ⅔ cups of monk fruit if desired.
- Sprinkle some sea salt on top of each cookie before baking for a savory flavor.
- Try adding some rosemary or thyme to the cookie dough to give it a unique taste.
- Use other types of nuts, such as walnuts or pecans, in place of the pistachios.
- Try using different types of sugar substitutes, such as coconut sugar or agave nectar. This will give your cookies a more complex sweetness.
- For a special holiday treat, try adding some festive spices, such as ginger or nutmeg to the cookie dough.
- Top with a dollop of low-carb whipped cream.
- For an extra decadent treat, dip the pistachio thumbprint cookies in melted dark chocolate before serving.
Are these cookies gluten free?
Yes, because these cookies are made with almond flour instead of wheat flour, they are gluten free. They are safe for people with celiac disease or a gluten intolerance.
Are these cookies vegan and vegetarian?
They are good for people following a vegetarian diet, but they are not good for people following a vegan diet because they use an egg.
How do I store leftover thumbprint cookies?
Store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. But if you live in a warm and humid place, store them in the fridge to ensure they stay fresh. You can store leftover jam in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Other Cookie Recipes
- Almond Flour Peanut Butter Cookies
- Soft & Chewy Coconut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Healthy Chocolate Cookies
- Hazelnut Chocolate-Chunk Cookies