These delicious and airy cassava flour pancakes are gluten free, dairy free, vegan, and a great healthy alternative to traditional pancakes.
photography by Jaia Taboada for Nutrition in the Kitch
Healthy & Easy Cassava Flour Pancakes
It’s always nice to switch it up at breakfast and explore healthier alternatives. These cassava flour pancakes make for a great opportunity to go “outside the box” and try something new! If you haven’t used cassava flour in cooking or baking yet, you are in for a lovely surprise. It’s a wonderful gluten free flour alternative with a fine texture and works great in pancakes.
These fluffy pancakes are made with a blend of cassava flour and almond flour, sweetened with maple syrup, and they contain a touch of nut butter for healthy fats. They are completely vegan and great for those with gluten, dairy, or egg intolerances.
What is Cassava Flour?
Cassava flour (also known as cassava powder) is a fine flour made from the yuca root, native to South America. The yuca root is a tuber that is like a cross between a potato and a sweet potato, It is starchy and naturally grain free and is also considered a superfood as it contains many vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Cassava flour can be found at most bulk food stores like Bulk Barn, on Amazon, or at many natural grocery stores or in the natural foods section in the baking goods area.
What Does Cassava Taste Like?
Cassava flour has a slightly sweet, mild, and neutral flavour that is not overpowering. It pairs well with cinnamon, honey, sweet potato, cacao and blends well with other grain/gluten free flours in recipes.
These cassava flour pancakes have a subtle nutty flavour as the flour is mixed with almond flour and they are wonderfully sweet, satisfying, and versatile.
Ingredients in Cassava Flour Pancakes
To make these delicious and healthy pancakes you only need a handful of whole food ingredients that are gluten free, dairy free, and vegan.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cassava flour (Bob’s Red Mill or Otto’s Naturals brands are great)
- Almond flour
- Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Baking powder
- Almond butter
- Pure maple syrup
- Pure vanilla extract
Recipe Variations & Substitutions
The wonderful thing about this perfectly sweet and nutty gluten free pancakes is that they are very versatile and are a blank slate for a variety of additions and substitutions. I love getting creative with a basic pancakes recipe to change it up depending on the season and the occasion. Here is some inspiration for you!
- Chocolate Chip: Pour 1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips into the pancake batter before cooking for a delicious chocolaty twist!
- Jammy Swirl: Add some fruity flare to these pancakes by swirling 1/4 cup of your favorite, naturally sweetened jam into the batter before cooking. Then, to add even more fruit, top with your favourite fresh berries.
- Hulk Pancakes: Instead of mixing the batter in a bowl, add all of the ingredients to a blender and add in 1 cup of fresh spinach. Blend until completely smooth then cook for pancakes packed with green goodness.
- Pumpkin Spice: For a pumpkin-season inspired variation, add 1/4 cup pure pumpkin puree to the batter along with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.
There are so many delicious ways to enjoy these pancakes and they are super easy to make, that’s a win-win in my books! You can also use the batter to make Cassava Flour Waffles if you are in a waffle mood… some mornings I’m feeling waffles over pancakes.
Have you ever cooked or baked with cassava flour? Tell me about it in the comments and be sure to pin the photo below the recipe to save this one for later!
More Gluten Free Pancake Recipes You’ll Love:
Have a wonderful day!
Christal // NITK