Phewwf! After a big detour yesterday we are back on our way home this morning!
The hubby and I just enjoyed a wonderful week in the Shuswap region of British Columbia! Our week was filled with running in the mornings, hanging out on the beach, swimming in the clear lake, hitting a couple rounds of golf, and enjoying some quality time as this was our official anniversary trip!
Yesterday however, on our drive home, we ended up stranded in Revelstoke after a hi-way closure due to an accident so we ended up spending the night – and that acutally gave me time to do this post!!
I wasn’t planning on posting this until tomorrow but it’s SUCH a PERFECT Sunday Brunch recipe I thought I should make the most of my free hotel wi-fi and get this post out early for your enjoyment!
This yummy, sweet and savory, breakfast sammy is honestly one of my fave breakfast creations thus far! The sweet maple combined with the savory egg and hearty smoked chicken is perfection – and believe it or not, all the components in this recipe make what seems like an indulgent dish actually healthy and lower in calories!
I used whole grain oat flour and ground flax for the base of the waffles. Then, this organic 100% natural pure maple sugar (which is pretty much dehydrated granulated pure maple syrup) brings in the necessary maple sweetness – a perfect healthy alternative to refined sugar!
(I got the pure maple sugar from iHerb.com!)
A simple organic free range egg, paired with some organic free range (local!!) smoked chicken breast (the real thing – not the smooshed-tube-nitrate-laden-deli-stuff) makes up the waffle sammy fillings, and then it’s all drizzled with a little pure maple syrup at the end!
Simple, healthy, all natural goodness!
As you may have noticed, I’ve been into the waffles lately , and this recipe is just another way to enjoy them – as the ‘bread’ for a sammy!
Because really, what’s better than taking a delicious waffle, pairing it with another delicious waffle, and then putting more deliciousness between the two!?
The nutritional stats for this hearty and filling waffle sammy are also right on point!
44g of energy-giving, body-fueling complex whole-grain carbohydrates and a whopping 28g of protein, all in a nice 380 calorie package!
No high-fat, greasy, refined, heavy, make-you-feel-sluggish ingredients here!
On this lovely little Sunday morning, why don’t you stop by your local ‘farm-friendly’ grocery supplier (luckily most cities/towns have a place to get some locally sourced meat and produce – I’m loving our Blush Lane Organic Market as of late) and pick up some eggs and chicken breast and whip up a batch of these delicious waffle sammy’s!
Yup – that bite – that one right up there– it’s ahhhhhmaaaazing…trust me!
- For the Waffles:
- 2 heaping tablespoons pure oat flour (gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp pure maple sugar (or alternate unrefined granulated sugar)
- ¼ cup egg whites (or 2 egg whites)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- Sammy Fillings:
- 1 large egg, cooked as desired
- 50g or 2oz natural smoked organic chicken breast
- To Top:
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- In a bowl combine the oat flour, ground flaxseed, baking powder, and maple sugar.
- In another small bowl whisk together the egg whites and almond milk.
- Pour the wet into the dry mixture and stir until smooth.
- Heat your waffle iron and add batter to the iron, and cook according to manufacturers instructions to make 2 waffles.
- While the waffles are cooking, in a pan prepare the whole egg as desired - I like mine easy-over!
- When the waffles are done, top one waffle with the chicken breast, and the cooked egg, then top with the other waffle and drizzle with pure maple syrup.
Stay tuned to this coming Wendesday’s post – I snapped a bunch of pics of my eats over our holiday week and I will be compiling them in my next WIAW post – there will be lots of great meal and snack ideas!!
Have a fantastic Sunday!
Nutritionist in the Kitch