This past week has been pretty slow going. We had a busy (but awesome!) time over the Thanksgiving weekend but with the mixture of the travelling, busyness, and being around lots of people, both Justin and Hemsley ended up coming down with a cold. I’m sure the conditions were right too as we’ve all been quite sleep deprived as Hemsley started teething this month. So, I’ve been doing my best to stay rested, take it easy, and fill up on probiotics and water to fend off this cold as I can’t imagine a sick mama and a sick baby is a very fun combo!
(Canadian) Thanksgiving was actually pretty chilly so I’ve been craving warm teas and almond milk lattes on the daily and have also been seeing warm, cozy drinks and eats all over my social feeds. I figured to keep up with the ongoing theme I’d share these tasty and healthy Mocha Walnut Energy Balls from my cookbook Energy Balls.
I am only allowed to share a few of the recipes from the cookbook so I thought these Mocha Walnut Energy Balls would be another nice little taste of what the cookbook contains alongside the Sweet & Salty Popcorn Balls (a crowd favourite) and Fig & Almond Energy Balls I’ve shared since the book hit shelves in February this year.
These mocha balls contain the perfect combination of naturally sweet fibre-rich dates, ground coffee (for some extra kick, I use decaf but you can totally use the fully caffeinated option), antioxidant-packed cocoa powder, and walnuts and almond meal full of healthy omega fats. When it comes to vitamins and minerals they contain B1, B2, B6, folate, vitamin E, manganese, magnesium, potassium, and iron. Not bad for energy balls that taste decadently rich and indulgent.
If you are a fan of mocha flavour and in need of some natural energy that is easy-to-make and perfect for on-the-go, these should definitely be on your must-make list this week.
Now… for the exciting announcement! You may have watched my Instagram stories last week and saw that I shared a special delivery I got in the mail.
…the first printed copies of my second cookbook!
That’s right, while I was busy creating a baby last year I was also creating another “cookbook baby”. This new cookbook, published by Sterling Publishers, is named Power Bowls and will be out on shelves this coming January, the perfect time of year to introduce 100 healthy, well balanced meals-in-a-bowl to your daily routine.
So, on this beautiful Sunday, if you find yourself with a little extra time, whipping up these tasty Mocha Walnut Energy Balls and ordering a pre-sale copy of my upcoming Power Bowls cookbook might just be the perfect way to spend your free time, would you agree? 😉
- 1 cup raw walnut halves
- ½ cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coffee beans
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 1 cup pitted dates
- pinch of salt
- In a food processor add the walnuts almond meal, ground coffee, and cocoa powder and pulse until crumbly.
- Add in the agave, dates, and salt and process for 1 minute, then pour the almond milk into the top while processing until a sticky and crumbly batter is achieved.
- Using clean hands take smaller than golf-ball sized portions of the batter and press together, then roll into a ball using your palms. The mixture will seem a bit oily, that is fine, just press more firmly into the ball shape, or if you want you can wrap each ball in a paper towel to remove some of the moisture.
- Repeat the process to make 14 balls total.
- Place the balls on a large plate or cookie sheet and add to the freezer for 30 minutes to set.
- Store balls in the fridge.
Have a beautiful day!
Christal // NITK