I hope you are all enjoying your start to September!
I kind of love this month, the weather is still mostly warm but there’s a slight chill in the air that’s actually refreshing, the leaves are starting to turn, and I can wear my favourite chunky sweaters, j.crew vests (I have an obsession), and my favorite brown leather riding boots (that I paid way too much for so I will wear them until the day they literally disintegrate on my feet).
What’s your favourite thing about the start of Fall?
Naturally, as Fall settles in, I seem to veer away from salads and raw veggies and instead go for soups, stews, and chili’s that have some veggies mixed in.
I hate to admit it, but my fresh greens intake can dwindle this time of year. I’m just not into fresh greens and unless I intentionally think to add kale, spinach, or chard to my stewed or slow cooker meals, I might get less than I would like!
So, the solution is to get a little creative!
Luckily, Genuine Health has an awesome array of greens powders including their vegan greens+ O. I’ve been using Genuine Health powders for quite some time now (remember this recipe using the greens+ extra energy?) and find that it’s a great way to get in extra greens when I might just forget to include them in my day!
The vegan greens+ O is a specifically vegan (no dairy or animal products) greens powder that is also wheat free, gluten free, soy free and made with 80% organic ingredients. It’s loaded with innovative ingredients, including organic spirulina, broccoli sprouts, chia seeds, and sunflower lecithin.
Because of my natural tendency to move towards heartier more comforting foods in the Fall (less smoothies, more soups) I wanted to incorporate the vegan greens+ O in a not-so-typical greens recipe…
This hearty fibre-filled dip/spread is great for this time of year because it makes a great snack for any time of the day, it’s perfect option to take to the many upcoming holiday parties, and it’s also got a comforting Fall feel to it especially with some warmed pita bread on the side (gluten free or non – whichever you prefer!) .
To amp up the hummus I added in some garlic and basil which brightens up the green hue coming from the vegan greens+ O even more, and the perfect amount of lemon and vinegar add a little tang. This hummus is truly SUPERCHARGED with the superfood-loaded greens powder, the basil, the garlic (a great natural antibacterial to fight off those cold weather flus) and the extra love.
How do you ensure you get your greens when the Fall rolls in? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
- 1 15 oz can organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2½ tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon Genuine Health vegan greens+ O
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon + 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- juice from 1 small lemon
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Add the chickpeas, olive oil, and tahini to a food processor and process for 30 seconds.
- Add in the water, sea salt, garlic, vinegar and process again for 1-2 minutes (stopping every once in a while to scrape the sides with a spatula) until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Add in the greens+ powder, the chopped basil, and the juice from 1 small lemon.
- Process again for 30 seconds to 1 minute until the mixture is smooth and the greens are well incorporated.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve with warmed pita, sliced vegetables, or crackers. You can also use the hummus as a spread for sandwiches.
Have a wonderful Sunday!
Nutritionist in the Kitch