I just had the best 4 days in a row off work! It was wonderful – I went with my hubby to his 10 year high-school reunion (we are gettin’ old!!), visited with the in-laws, golfed, baked in the sun at a local pool, and watched the fireworks for Canada Day!
4 day weekends are the BEST! I also made these amazingly easy and delicious “Grill Packets” filled with prawns, red organic quinoa, and veggies soaked in a delicious coconut sugar, chilli flake, and garlic marinade!
Seeing as grilling and camping season are in full force, I figured I should post a recipe that you can all experiment with! Using tin-foil to make “packets” are great for any grill situation – a real BBQ, a little hibachi, or an open fire!
These are unbelievably easy to make, and really quite versatile.
Don’t like shrimp? Use chicken instead!
Vegan? Do all veggies and quinoa – or add in some chickpeas or edamame for extra protein!
I basically grabbed whatever veggies I had left in my fridge – onion, snap peas, carrots, and bell peppers – chop, chop, chop and away we go!
The red quinoa was cooked already (I make quinoa in large batches in my rice cooker to save time in the week) and then some thawed seasoned prawns to top it all!
The tin foil just needs to be folded up on the edges to make a little pouch, and the veggies and prawns cook from the steam created in the packets!
Literally 10 minutes on the grill and dinner was done!
The fresh garlic, coconut palm sugar, and chili flakes made the perfect combo of tastes, and the quinoa soaked every little bit of flavour up!
Why not give these little packets a try the next time you are grilling?!
These make a healthy, clean, and well balanced dinner – protein from the prawns, complex carb and fibre from the quinoa, and nutrient rich veggies – the only thing missing is a little bit of healthy fats so you could easily use some olive oil in the marinade or sprinkle some sesame seeds over the finished dish!
- 14 prawns, thawed
- ½ cup to 1 cup cooked red quinoa (depending on how big of a serving you prefer)
- 2 cups chopped veggies of choice (I used bell pepper, snap peas, red onion, and carrots)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- salt and pepper
- Chop the veggies.
- In a large bowl add the garlic, chill flakes, and coconut palm sugar, a dash of salt and pepper, and mix.
- Add the thawed prawns to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Tear tin foil to create two 10x10 (approx) squares.
- On the centre of each tin foil square add ¼ cup cooked quinoa (or more if preferred).
- Layer on the chopped vegetables.
- Top with the coated prawns.
- Fold up opposite corners of the tin foil and pinch together to seal, repeat with the other corners and pinch edges to seal into a pouch.
- Place tin foil packets on the grill for 10 minutes.
- Remove from grill, open and enjoy!
Have a fantastic Wednesday!
Nutritionist in the Kitch