We are back home from our travels, and while it feels a little bittersweet, I’m happy to get back into the groove of life. Also, I’ve teamed up again with The Little Potato Company to bring you an awesome little potato giveaway today (scroll to the very bottom of the post to find out how to enter and win!).
Over the last couple of weeks my hubby and I ventured on a great road trip. We camped in British Columbia, Idaho, and along the Oregon Coast, made pit stops in Portland and Seattle (if you didn’t check out my Healthy Portland Guide, I definitely recommend you do!), and then finished with a week back in BC on the beautiful Shuswap Lake.
Our trip had a great combination of camping and staying in vacation rentals. I love camping, but I have to admit, I can’t camp for two weeks straight. It’s not that I mind sleeping in a tent, but I really miss cooking in a kitchen and showering in my own clean shower. That being said, in true Nutritionist in the Kitch style, I was sure to pack along some great camping eats.
I’ve done a couple posts in the past about healthy camping (here and here) and always make it a priority to bring along some pre-made meals or ready-to-make options that taste wonderful cooked over the open fire or on the grill.
That’s where these Tex-Mex Potato Grill Packets come in.
I wanted to create a healthy side dish to enjoy while we were camping and put some delicious Little Potato Company creamer potatoes to use. I decided I’d make grill packets wrapped in foil as they are easy to make ahead, they transport well in a cooler, and really, just need to be tossed right on the grill or open fire!
This wasn’t the first time I had put creamer potatoes in tin foil and cooked them, but I wanted to amp up this grilled potato packet idea, so I chose to add a little Tex-Mex flare!
The Little Potato Company Creamer Potatoes are great because they are pre-washed and cook in a short amount of time. I simply cut the little potatoes in half and combined them with sliced onion, bell pepper, and black beans.
Next, I tossed the potato, bean, and veggie mixture with olive oil and organic taco seasoning. I added an extra sprinkle of salt and pepper then split the mixture between four rectangular segments of tin foil. I folded up the sides of the tin foil around the potato mixture and I was left with perfectly transportable potato packets ready for cooking.
Once we arrived at our campsite we simply tossed our potato packets over the grill and let them cook away.
When the potato packets were done cooking I added some guacamole and salsa as the perfect Tex-Mex toppings and they were ready to enjoy! We paired our potato packets with a simple side salad and grilled organic beef patties. It made a delicious and healthy camping meal with seriously easy clean up too.
Because I had made 4 packets, the two we had leftover (that we had still cooked that night) we ate the next morning with eggs. Camping breakfast and dinner, done to perfection!
We still have a couple weeks left of Summer so I highly recommend you make these tasty potato packets if you head out camping to finish off the season. Even if you don’t have a camping trip planned, a BBQ works just fine and you can easily have a little backyard cookout!
…Oh, and I didn’t forget… the GIVEAWAY (scroll to the bottom for details and how to enter!)…
- 2½ cups Terrific Trio creamer potatoes, halved
- ½ cup organic canned black beans
- 1 bell pepper, sliced thinly
- ½ white onion, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon organic taco seasoning
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup prepared guacamole
- ¼ cup prepared salsa
- Other Optional Garnishes:
- Shredded organic cheese
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Chopped cilantro
- Fresh Lime
- Begin by tearing 8"-10" wide segments of tin foil from a tin foil roll so you have 4 large rectangular pieces. Set these aside on your kitchen counter or a large working space.
- Slice the creamer potatoes in half and add to a large bowl.
- Add in the black beans, sliced bell pepper and onion, taco seasoning and salt.
- Drizzle over the olive oil.
- Using clean hands toss together to combine everything well.
- Divide the potato mixture evenly between the 4 tin foil pieces and pile the potato mixture in the centre of the tin foil rectangle.
- Fold each tin foil piece to cover and wrap the potato mixture then fold and pinch the edges to seal tightly.
- Store the tin foil packets for up to 2 days in the fridge.
- Once ready to cook, place the tin foil packet on a grill or grate over an open flame and cook for 15-20 minutes or until done. The potatoes should be easy to pierce with a fork and browned slightly.
- Once cooked, open the packets and top with 1 tablespoon of guacamole and 1 tablespoon of salsa each, and other optional garnishes if desired.
Now, because The Little Potato company is SO awesome! They are giving away 1 FREE MONTH of POTATOES (that makes a lot of potato packets!). The winner will be mailed 4 FREE product coupons for use at any local stores that carry Little Potato products!
How do you enter? Simply comment on this post below!
I’d love to read what you bring along when you go camping to enjoy as a healthier meal or side-dish! The winner will be chosen at random on Thursday August 25th. Good luck!
Nutritionist in the Kitch