I find January is a bit of an interesting month for food. On one hand you have the healthy “new years” trends and many are looking for light, refreshing, detoxifying recipes (like my lemon ginger detoxifying smoothie) and on the other hand, it’s still winter, and many of us are naturally craving warm, comforting dishes. I’d say I oscillate between the two, sometimes in a single day! I might start the morning with a light, cold green smoothie, and dive right into a hearty chili for lunch.
Do you tend to go with one or the other, or do a mix of both in January?
To keep in line with this January mix, I’ve decided to bring a warm and comforting recipe to the blog today. As many of you know, I’m a huge fan of eggs. I pretty much eat them every single day in some way, shape, or form. I’m also never one to refuse eggs at lunch, or even dinner, because in my opinion, this delicious ingredient is suitable for any meal. I always go with organic free-range eggs and try to buy local whenever possible.
Eggs make their way into this tasty baked skillet alongside creamer potatoes, savoury Italian tomato sauce, and crunchy green peppers.
The combination to make this dish is super simple but definitely doesn’t lack in flavour. I used the Little Potato Company’s Savoury Herb potato pack that takes only 5 minutes to prepare, making deliciously seasoned creamer potatoes to add to the skillet with the tomato sauce, peppers, and eggs.
Using a prepared Italian seasoned tomato sauce, along with the herbed potatoes, makes putting this dish together incredibly easy. Just prepare the potatoes so that they are cooked, slice and add to a cast-iron skillet (or oven-safe cooking dish), then add in the sliced green pepper, pour in the tomato sauce, and make little “wells” to crack in the farm fresh eggs.
A little sprinkle of garlic salt and dried parsley, then in the oven it all goes. 25 minutes later you have a rich, hearty, warm, and comforting meal that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
This recipe is similar to a “shakshouka” but it’s a whole lot simpler and has a bit of a different flavour. As I whipped this dish up, I didn’t really have a plan, I just took my 4 main ingredients and went with it!
This is a great one-pan family meal and seems like a “labor of love”, but it’s really so easy! Not to mention it’s rich in vitamin C, fibre, and potassium from the little potatoes, protein and healthy fats from the eggs, and more vitamin C and other great nutrients from the tomatoes and peppers.
Whether you are into the light and refreshing recipes or the warm and comforting ones in the month of January, you definitely need to give this Savoury Herb Potato & Tomato Baked Egg Skillet a try!
- 1 package Little Potato Company Savoury Herb potatoes
- 2 cups of your favourite Italian tomato sauce
- 4 eggs
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cast-iron skillet with parchment paper (or use an oven-safe baking dish).
- Prepare the savoury herb potatoes according to package instructions, and slice in half (you can also roast the potatoes ahead of time in the oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes).
- Add the cooked potatoes and the sliced green pepper to the skillet and spread around evenly.
- Pour in the tomato sauce.
- Create "wells" in the sauce and potato mixture and crack an egg into each well.
- Sprinkle everything with the garlic salt and parsley.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 25 minutes (30 if you like your yolks not runny).
Have a wonderful Sunday!
Christal // NITK