This delicious and easy Lemon Ginger Detoxifying Smoothie is dairy free, gluten free, and plant-based. It’s loaded with fresh lemon that naturally helps to boost the body’s detoxifying abilities and it tastes like lemon meringue pie!
The Most Refreshing Lemon Ginger Smoothie
For many of you regular Nutrition in the Kitch readers this lemon ginger detoxifying smoothie is nothing new! It’s actually an older recipe I’ve decided to bring back into the spotlight because 1) it’s the perfect time for it (post-holidays!) and 2) everyone new to NITK the community absolutely needs to see it and of course, try it!
This smoothie has been one of my long time favourites and for good reason, it tastes like one of my favourite desserts…lemon meringue pie, but has none of the refined sugars, flour, or other not-so-healthy ingredients and instead is loaded with fresh lemon, frozen fruits, fresh ginger and creamy coconut milk.
The Smoothie Detoxifiers
In this delicious drink you’ll find a few key ingredients that happen to be particularly “detoxifying” or they have properties that help boost the body’s natural detoxification process.
- Lemon: Lovely lemons are loaded with Vitamin C which is great for health, but the kicker with lemons is that they naturally contain citric acid. This compound stimulates the saliva glands to produce more saliva. When we produce more saliva, we also produce more digestive enzymes. Those specific digestive enzymes help our bodies break down foods better which promotes improved digestion, and in-turn, helps to cleanse the body! There are also powerful antioxidants found in lemons including one antioxidant in particular called d-limonene. This powerful compound stimulates the liver to produce more enzymes that aid in the natural detoxification process of the liver.
- Ginger: This second detoxifying ingredient becomes the perfect compliment to lemon in this smoothie as it also promotes detoxification through natural compounds found in ginger called gingerols and shoals. These funny sounding compounds promote detoxification by speeding up the movement of food through the digestive system. Combine ginger and lemon and you’ve got a detoxification powerhouse!
- Chia Seeds: These little seeds help to detoxify the body by moving waste through the digestive system efficiently like a “chimney sweep”. By cleansing the digestive system they help to rid the body of toxins that can stick around too long if digestion is sluggish or constipation is a common symptom you experience. They key to consuming chia seeds is pairing them with ample amounts of liquid which helps them move through the digestive system smoothly.
Other Ingredients You’ll Need:
To make the lemony deliciousness shine through in this smoothie, I decided not to use banana, a common smoothie fruit as it can overpower in flavour and instead I used the following complimentary ingredients:
- Frozen Peach
- Frozen Pineapple
- Frozen Mango
- Coconut Milk (from the carton, not canned)
- Raw Honey (you can also use coconut nectar for vegan)
- Collagen Peptides (optional, substitute for vanilla plant-based protein for vegan) – collagen adds a nice dose of gut-healthy proteins for blood sugar stabilization and to balance out the natural sugars in the smoothie from the fruits! I always make sure to add a protein source to my smoothies so either collagen or plant-based protein powder is a great option!
Last week I shared a delicious Banana Almond Butter & Date Smoothie and this week this Lemon Ginger Detoxifying Smoothie is the contender! I’m definitely on the smoothie train right now and it’s been nice adding in different flavours into the mix. I’m not sure if you are on the smoothie train already but if you are you definitely need to give this simple, healthy, super detoxifying smoothie a try and give yourself just another tasty reason to enjoy a perfect, fresh start to the New Year!
Be sure to pin the photo below the recipe to save this one for later and of course, share the love!
More Detoxifying Smoothies You Might Like:
- Detoxifying Cranberry Smoothie
- 3 Delicious Detox Smoothies
- The C-Spot Smoothie
- Raspberry Apple Flax Smoothie
- Green Apple, Pear & Parsley Cleansing Smoothie
- Best Green Spirulina Smoothie
Have a wonderful Sunday!
Christal // NITK