This healthy homemade chicken stew recipe is the best! It’s creamy, easy, and totally dairy free and gluten free. Loaded with vegetables, chicken, and potatoes, it comes together in just 30-minutes.
This week I pulled out my “winter bin” and swapped out my summer clothing and accessories for my favourite fall and winter items. I’ve been working at the minimalism lifestyle (thanks to this book, this book, and this documentary) and “capsule wardrobes” have been helping me make the shift.
Pulling out my cozy sweaters, scarves, and toques got me a little excited for the season but at the same time I felt somewhat sad to put away my summer faves. I’m not going to lie, it takes work, mental reframing, to get myself in the headspace to say goodbye to summer and welcome fall. But gosh, if I can “welcome” contractions during labour… then you better believe I can welcome the cold!
Aside from my favourite cozy clothes, something else that helps me embrace the colder season a little more is delicious, cozy, nourishing, and hearty meals like soup, stew, chili, and tagine. Bring it on fall, I’ve got a whole lot of hearty goodness going on here!
This Herbed Chicken & Potato Stew is my first cozy dish of the season and oh, trust me friends, it’s good. Real good. So once again I say… bring it on fall!
The key to a really good stew is a flavourful, rich and thick, creamy base with chunks of tender vegetables and meat or legumes. This stew definitely has it all. However, instead of milk, cream, or wheat flour I’ve used a little trick to create the rich and creamy goodness in this recipe.
Little Potato Company creamer potatoes and nutritious vegetables like carrots, celery, and mushrooms blended together with organic chicken broth and a bit of gluten-free flour creates a perfect, hearty, nourishing stew that will warm you to the bone with every little bite.
Creamer potatoes, being naturally starchier, but still loaded with vitamin C, fibre, and potassium work wonderfully to create the illusion of “creaminess” without any dairy necessary. Dill, thyme, and parsley add flavour, depth, vitamins, and a pretty sprinkling of green!
Half of the vegetables in the stew, including the potatoes, I left unblended to add more texture and hunks of tender goodness, and the organic roasted chicken brings in protein, B vitamins, and selenium.
The best part? This stew takes less than 30 minutes to make.
If you are a regular NITK reader you know that quick meals are my jam. I just don’t have the patience (and now time… with the little one always vying for my attention!) for meals that take hours to prepare. By using already cooked organic rotisserie chicken and little creamer potatoes my preparation time was cut in half and the stew was ready to go with minimal effort!
Add a side of crusty gluten-free sourdough bread (I used La Olivia locally made gluten-free bread) and you’ve got one perfect, warm, filling fall meal for the whole family.
What are you cooking up this month to get into the fall groove? Do you have any quick, easy, go-to stews? I’d love to read about it in the comments below!
- 11 ounces cooked rotisserie chicken (preferably organic, light and dark meat), shredded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups diced creamer potatoes (Little Potato Company Terrific Trio)
- 3 cups organic chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- ½ cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- ½ cup finely diced onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- ½ tsp salt or garlic salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour blend (all purpose)
- Heat a large pot or dutch-oven to medium-high heat and add in the olive oil.
- Add in the garlic, potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, mushrooms, dill, parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring often, for about 15 minutes until softened.
- Lower the heat to medium and scoop two cups of the potato vegetable mixture out using a measuring cup and add to a blender.
- Add the chicken broth to the blender with the potato vegetable mixture and blend on high until smooth.
- While blending, slowly add in the gluten-free flour through the top opening.
- Pour the blended potato vegetable mixture back into the pot with the rest of the vegetables.
- Add in the chopped rotisserie chicken and stir to combine.
- Simmer for 10 minutes then season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Divide stew between 4 bowls and serve hot with a side of gluten-free bread (optional).
Have a wonderful Sunday!