How is it that two weeks at home can draaaaag by and two weeks in paradise is gone in a blink? Our Maui trip was absolutely amazing but went by way too fast. I could easily still be relaxing on the beach with my little nugget, sipping a mai tai, and taking in the stunning ocean views, but at least we came home to beautiful spring weather so the transition hasn’t been too tough.
While I might not be on a warm beach anymore, I figured I could still enjoy some Hawaiian goodness here at home with these tasty homemade burgers…plus grilling season has officially begun right?!
This past week while we were shaking off our jet lag, getting back into the groove of things, and missing sweet Maui we decided to fire up the grill. I had already been devising this recipe in my brain for a little while so it was time to make it happen, and voila! these Aloha Chicken Burgers came to life.
These burgers are serrrrrriously tasty and when I posted a little sneak peek over on my Instagram stories I got many messages with the drool face emoji, so I know a lot of you have been eagerly waiting to make these!
Two components in these burgers really bring in the Aloha feel; the grilled pineapple and the glazed chicken breast.
Pineapple is absolutely delicious on its own (and full of vitamin C!), but when it’s grilled, the taste definitely goes up a notch as the natural sugars caramelize creating an amazing flavour. While pineapple didn’t actually originate in Hawaii it can be found in abundance there as Hawaii is famous for it’s pineapple production and maybe it’s just the overall blissful aura of Hawaii that makes everything better, but I do think that pineapple in Hawaii tastes even more sweet and delicious!
Another signature for Hawaiian cuisine is Huli Huli Chicken so I decided to make a huli huli inspired sauce to glaze the chicken breast in these burgers using garlic, ginger, coconut palm sugar, sesame oil, and organic ketchup (Eeep! Yes I used ketchup in this recipe but it’s made with unrefined sugar and it’s organic so… shhh, everything in moderation right?!).
The chicken is perfectly sweet and savoury and goes wonderfully with the grilled pineapple and other tasty toppings that all work together bringing in healthy fats, probiotics, vitamins, minerals, and so much more flavour.
Avocado mashed with lime, salt, and pepper brings in healthy omega-rich fats as well as a rich, buttery, softness to contrast the pickled onions and acidic pineapple. The juicy tomato is a burger staple and the sprouts bring in natural probiotics to help boost digestion.
The pickled onions are the little cherry-on-top bringing in even more flavour. I used the same recipe for pickled onions from Kitchn that I included in the Chicken Shawarma Plates I posted last month and I just love these tasty onions as a garnish for many meals, plus they are super easy to make.
Last but not least I used tasty artisan flaxseed buns from a nearby bakery. You really can use any kind of burger buns your heart desires. Or, if you want to go sans bun, lettuce wrap the burgers for a grain-free option!
I’m sure most of you have been just as eager as I have been for warm weather (winter seemed to last forever here in Alberta) and to fire up the grill, so I hope you will give these tasty Aloha Chicken Burgers a try very soon and bring even more sunshine to your day!
How do you make your signature burger? Is it a little healthier or more indulgent? I’d love to read about it in the comments below!
- 4 gluten-free seeded burger buns (or whatever healthy buns your heart desires!)
- 4 thick sliced (1/2") pineapple rings
- 4 slices of tomato
- 4 tablespoons organic mayonnaise or thousand island dressing*
- 1 cup deli sprouts
- ¼ cup homemade quick pickled onions (use this recipe)
- Huli Huli Chicken:
- 4 x 4oz skinless boneless chicken breasts
- ½ tsp minced ginger
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons organic ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- Mashed Avocado:
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and mashed with a fork
- juice from ½ lime
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- Start by preparing the quick pickled onions (if using) and set in the fridge to chill (for at least 30 minutes) while you prepare the rest of the burger recipe.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the ginger, garlic, coconut palm sugar, ketchup, sesame oil, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Add the sauce to the bowl with the chicken breasts and mix to coat the chicken.
- In another small bowl add the mashed avocado ingredients and set in the fridge to chill.
- Preheat your grill or BBQ.
- Add the chicken breast to the grill and cook until done.
- Halfway through cooking add the pineapple slices to the grill and grill for 4-5 minutes on each side until slightly browned with grill marks.
- Once chicken breast and pineapple are finished grilling assemble the burgers.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of mayo or thousand island dressing onto each bun, add the chicken breast the bottom half of each bun and layer with the pineapple rings, tomato, mashed avocado, sprouts, and pickled onions.
Have a wonderful Sunday,
My husband loves pineapple on burgers, and I’m excited about the chicken!! Perfect meal for warmer temperatures (finally!).
Totally agree – this is BBQ season perfection!!!