This sweet potato casserole recipe combines sweet potatoes with Greek yogurt and spices to create a rich dish that is sure to please. It’s a great take on the classic sweet potato casserole and perfect for Thanksgiving or any time of year.
All about Sweet Potato Casserole
This sweet potato casserole is a unique spin on the classic dish. Made with Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream, this version packs in extra protein and flavor while still providing a sweet and savory experience. And sweet potatoes are full of fiber, potassium, and vitamins A, B6, and C.
The sweet potatoes are boiled until tender and combined with brown sugar, Greek yogurt, and spices. Topped with crunchy spiced pecans, the casserole is finished off by being baked for 30 minutes until golden brown.
The secret ingredient here is Greek yogurt that adds creaminess to the dish without being too rich. The tangy addition brightens up the sweet potatoes and makes them even more enjoyable. The end result is sweet, silky, and satisfying. It’s filled to the brim with fall flavors but can be enjoyed all year.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Sweet Potato Casserole
For the sweet potato mixture:
- Sweet potatoes
- Greek yogurt
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
For the topping:
- Brown sugar
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Peel the sweet potatoes, cut them into cubes, and place them in a large pot.
- Cover the cubed sweet potatoes with water and boil them until they are tender.
- Drain well and smash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher.
- Add the Greek yogurt, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and add them to the sweet potato mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the oven dish of your choice and level it with a spatula.
- For the topping, chop the pecans and transfer them to a bowl.
- Add the butter, sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Combine the ingredients with your hands to mix the butter well.
- Layer the topping on top of the sweet potato mixture.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool until it reaches room temperature.
Tips and Variations for Sweet Potato Casserole
When making this sweet potato casserole, there are some important tips to keep in mind.
- Choose firm sweet potatoes as these will provide the best flavor and texture for your dish.
- Boil the potatoes until they are tender when pierced with a fork. Be careful not to overcook them. This can make them mushy.
- Eat the casserole hot or at room temperature. I prefer to let it cool outside the oven then chill it in the fridge for at least an hour so it firms up a bit.
- Add marshmallows or mini marshmallows on top for a sweeter topping.
- Substitute walnuts or other nuts for the pecans, or use a combination.
- Add dried fruits, such as raisins or craisins, for a chewy texture and flavor.
- Mix in chopped apples, bananas, pineapple, coconut flakes, or chocolate chips.
- Substitute almond flour for the regular flour to make this recipe gluten free.
Sweet Potato Casserole FAQs
What can I use if I don’t have a potato masher?
If you don’t have a potato masher, there are several other kitchen tools you can use to mash the sweet potatoes. A fork is one option; press the tines into the cooked sweet potatoes, then twist and move back and forth. Another option is a pastry blender, which also works well for mashing sweet potatoes.
Is this recipe gluten free, dairy free, and/or vegetarian?
This recipe is not gluten free or dairy free because it has flour, butter, and Greek yogurt. But it is vegetarian because it doesn’t contain any meat.
How do I store leftovers of sweet potato casserole?
You can store leftovers of sweet potato casserole in a sealed container in the fridge for up to one week.
Other Sweet Potato Recipes
- Honey-Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
- Roasted Cinnamon Sweet Potato Soup
- Frozen Sweet Potatoes Fries in Air Fryer
- Sweet Potato & Avocado Egg Scramble
Sweet potato casserole is a great way to enjoy sweet potatoes year round. It’s simple to make and packed with flavor, making it the perfect side dish for special occasion meals or any night of the week. With many variation possibilities, this sweet potato casserole can be tailored to your preferences and tastes. Give this sweet potato casserole a try to enjoy its sweet and creamy flavors.