This delicious and satisfying turkey pesto sandwich is a perfect way to use up turkey leftovers from the holidays, or enjoy turkey any other time of year. It is packed with protein, spinach, flavour, and can be easily made gluten free and dairy free.
A Delicious Turkey Pesto Sandwich
Sandwiches are definitely a comfort food to me. Two toasty slices of bread filled with delicious and hearty ingredients makes the best filling lunch any day of the week. When my hubby and I cooked a turkey on the smoker the other week we knew the leftovers would make great sandwiches for the days ahead.
This turkey pesto sandwich recipe is simple, super flavourful and such a great way to enjoy turkey!
The combination of perfectly cooked turkey breast with spinach, tomatoes, pesto, cheese, and an easy sun-dried tomato mayo sandwiched between two slices of sourdough bread, it’s truly divine. I used my panini press to make sure the bread was toasted just right and the inside ingredients were warm with the cheese perfectly melted.
Turkey Pesto Sandwich Ingredients
To make this epic sandwich you actually don’t need many ingredients. While it has a ton of flavour, the ingredients are very simple and easy to put together.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Sourdough bread (regular or gluten free – for gluten free I like the Promise Gluten Free sourdough)
- Turkey breast
- Pesto (for dairy free you can make your own at home, or purchase a store-bought dairy free version)
- Cheese (I used a dairy free cashew cheese, but you can choose any cheese you like – see tips in the next section)
- Sun-dried tomatoes
What cheese goes best with pesto?
When it comes to choosing a cheese for this turkey pesto sandwich, I recommend sticking with a mild white cheese. Goat cheese, havarti, or mozzarella go wonderfully with pesto and turkey, or you can opt for a dairy-free cheese made from cashews. These cheeses are all mild and light in flavour and don’t compete too much with the stronger flavour of the pesto.
If you want something a little stronger you can also try gouda cheese or Swiss.
Should I use store-bought or homemade pesto?
When I have the extra time I love making homemade pesto as I need dairy-free so I make mine with pine nuts, basil, spinach, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Most often store-bought pesto contains parmesan cheese, so if you can tolerate dairy you can definitely go with a simple store-bought variety.
There are some store-bought pesto brands out there that do not contain added cheese, you can check out this list here to learn more.
How To Make Step-by-Step
It only takes about 10 minutes to whip up this incredible turkey pesto sandwich, and you only need to follow a few simple steps.
Here’s what you’ll do:
1. Make the sun-dried tomato mayo by adding the sun-dried tomatoes and mayo to a small bowl, and mix, mashing the tomatoes to really combine it well with the mayo.
2. Spread the mayo over one slice of the bread, and spread the pesto over the other slice of bread.
3. Layer one slice of the bread with the turkey, then top with another dollop of pesto.
5. Using a panini press, or a pan on the stovetop, heat the sandwich until the bread is just slightly toasted and browned and the cheese begins to melt.
6. Slice and enjoy!
This sandwich is definitely one you’ll make again and again. I’m not kidding when I say you might even be tempted to cook a whole turkey in the middle of the summer just so you can make this sandwich with the leftovers! It’s that good.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy turkey leftovers? Tell me about it in the comments and be sure to pin the photo below the recipe to save this one for later!
More Turkey Recipes You’ll Love: