Recently I have been lucky enough to make a new friend! Marilyn, the founder of Awake Cereals! I first noticed her product on the “Local” shelves at Save-On-Foods here in Edmonton. I love local products and supporting our local economy, especially when it’s a food product that promotes health and wellness!
Marilyn is incredibly passionate about health, fiber, and her products that are intended to help people with digestive problems!
When we met for coffee the other week to discuss this giveaway we had a great 30 minute convo about POOP! Yep, that’s right, about poop, openly and freely chatted about it in the middle of Starbucks. Why? Because we both understand the value of a good poop and healthy digestive system when it comes to our overall wellbeing… physically… and mentally (you can’t tell me that being constipated for 2 days doesn’t put you in a bad mood…come on now!).
Awake cereals is full of heart and digestion supporting ingredients like oats, flaxseed, and psyllium!
I used both the High Fiber Buds and the Omega Grains to make these delicious bars which are a spin off of Marilyn’s Cranberry Chocolate Cookies.
I had to change her recipe a bit to fit into the Nutritionist in the Kitch recipe standards, lol – taking out the butter and brown sugar and subbing in applesauce, oil, and coconut palm sugar. I also played with the measurements a bit to reduce the overall sugar and fat in my version!
You can still make this recipe without Awake Cereals by using rolled oats, flax, and bran buds of your choice, but the Awake Cereals takes it to the next level!
The combo of dried cranberries (sweetened with fruit juice!) and dark chocolate adds the perfect touch of sweetness to these high fiber bars!
I found that in my version the bars were a tad dry, so if you want a more moist granola bar I would even out the applesauce and oil ratio in the recipe! It’s always good to experiment and play around with recipes to suit your tastes and nutritional standards!
High fiber, sweetness, and heart healthy goodness all wrapped into one!
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup oil (coconut, or vegetable) - if using coconut, melt first.
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar (or other unrefined granulated sugar)
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 large organic eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups Awake Cereals Omega Grains (or 3½ cups regular rolled oats, + ½ cup whole flaxseeds)
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup Awake Cereals High Fiber Buds (or regular bran buds)
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup organic dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line one baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl add oil, applesauce, sugar, maple syrup, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix until smooth with an electric beater or by hand.
- In another large bowl combine the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Add the wet into the dry and mix until blended.
- For bars, press the mixture evenly to fill the baking pan (or a large cake pan), or make cookies instead by dropping a tablespoon size mixture about 1 inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool before cutting into bars.
Have a wonderful Wednesday! The giveaway is on for one whole week, so share, tweet, pin, like, etc, etc, and get those entries in! 🙂
Nutritionist in the Kitch