This delicious, simple, and healthy fibre-rich instant pot popcorn is perfect for snacking. Made with just a few simple ingredients its gluten free, dairy free, and vegan!
Let’s Make Popcorn In An Instant Pot
There’s nothing like homemade popcorn. It’s warm, slightly crispy, and super flavourful fresh out of the pot. In this case it’s the Instant Pot!
While microwave popcorn is convenient, there are down-sides to this snack out of the bag. Instant pot popcorn is a great, healthier alternative to microwave popcorn and it’s so delicious you’ll make it again and again.
Nutritional Benefits of Popcorn
Popcorn is a much-loved snack by many, but not all are equal when it comes to nutrition. Movie theatre popcorn for example can be loaded with extra calories and artificial flavourings, so while it’s fine to enjoy on occasion, making your own homemade popcorn, right from the kernel, is the way to go.
Popcorn is actually a very nutritious food. Here’s what it contains:
- B vitamins including B1, B3, and B6
- Magnesium and iron along with other minerals
- Antioxidants (specifically polyphenols) that can help reduce the risk of disease
- Fibre…loads of it! To help boost digestive function and reduce the risk of heart disease
This tasty snack packs a nutritious punch, especially when made at home with natural whole-food ingredients!
Instant Pot Popcorn Ingredients
Speaking of ingredients….here’s what you’ll need to make this delicious, hot, and perfectly crispy popcorn. When it comes to seasoning, the sky’s the limit, but I love to keep it simple so I’ll share what I used, and you can change it up if you like!
- Whole popcorn kernels
- Refined coconut oil or refined avocado oil (more details on oil choices below and why this is important!)
- Sea salt
- Seasoning salt of choice (I used my hubby’s Traegar Cirtus & Black Pepper spice mix which is actually for chicken but worked great for the popcorn)
- Dried dill (optional)
What kind of oil should I use for Instant Pot popcorn?
This is a very important thing to note when making Instant Pot popcorn as all oils have a different smoke point, meaning the temperature at which an oil will start to smoke and burn. Because you need high heat for making popcorn, you want to use an oil with a HIGH smoke point.
This article from Masterclass is super helpful and shows the oils with the highest smoke points. I chose to give three of the best options for this Instant Pot popcorn. I used the first, but you can use any of the following or a mix of two, or all three!
- Refined coconut oil (I used Nutiva’s Refined*) – smoke point 450ºF
- Refined avocado oil (Nutiva has a great option*) – smoke point 520ºF
- Ghee or Clarified Butter (great option if you do not need dairy free)- smoke point 450ºF
*contains affiliate links
How To Make Instant Pot Popcorn
To make the perfect popcorn in your IP you need to follow a few simple steps! Here’s what you’ll do:
1. HEAT your instant pot using the SAUTE setting. Press once to turn on SAUTE then press SAUTE again to adjust to MORE.
2. ADD OIL to the instant pot and let it MELT and WARM for 2 MINUTES
3. ADD POPCORN KERNELS to the instant pot along with the salt and seasoning salt (if using), then STIR
4. COVER instant pot with a GLASS LID*** and wait another 2 MINUTES or so and the kernels will begin to pop.
5. GENTLY SHAKE the instant pot after 1 MINUTE to redistribute the popcorn so more kernels pop, then pop another 2 MINUTES (or so) until popping ceases.
6. REMOVE LID, transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with the dried dill, or top with melted butter/vegan butter, or other seasoning of choice.
7. Enjoy hot!
***You can use ANY glass pot lid you have that will cover the instant pot (it doesn’t have to be a perfect fit), or you can buy the Instant Pot glass lid accessory here. (affiliate link)
More Seasoning Ideas for Homemade Popcorn
The combination of the hot freshly popped popcorn, sea salt, the citrus and black pepper*, and dill is seriously perfection. I also decided to drizzle my popcorn with a little bit of vegan butter for the cherry on top!
Here are some more seasoning ideas for this delicious instant pot popcorn recipe:
- Nacho Cheeze – Add some cheesy goodness to this popcorn by swapping out the seasoning salt for organic taco seasoning* and toss the hot popcorn with 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast* for a plant-based cheesy twist.
- Sweet Cinnamon – Change out the savoury for sweet by omitting the salt, seasoning salt, and dill, and using 1/2 tablespoon of coconut palm sugar with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to toss with the hot popcorn (then drizzle with vegan butter for a touch of salty richness!).
- Magic Caramel – make Pinch Of Yum’s magic date caramel sauce and lightly drizzle over the popcorn (just use salt, not the seasoning salt or dill), for some serious goodness.
*contians affiliate links
I hope you loved this recipe and will try this amazing version of homemade popcorn…in the Instant Pot! Be sure to pin the photo below the recipe to save this one for later!
More Healthy Snacking Recipes You’ll Love:
Christal // NITK