These delicious, thick, and fluffy coconut flour waffles are so simple and easy to make! They are gluten free, dairy free, paleo, low carb, and a great healthy alternative to traditional waffles.
Thick & Fluffy Coconut Flour Waffles
It’s always nice to switch it up at breakfast and explore healthier alternatives. These coconut flour waffles make for a great opportunity to go “outside the box” and try something new! If you haven’t used coconut flour in cooking or baking yet, you are in for a lovely surprise. It’s a wonderful gluten free flour alternative with a fine, fluffy texture and works great in pancakes and waffles.
These fluffy and thick Belgian style waffles are made with a blend of coconut flour and tapioca flour, maple syrup and applesauce, eggs, almond milk, and they contain a touch of nut butter for healthy fats. They are great for those with gluten or dairy intolerances.
What is Coconut Flour?
Coconut flour is a fine flour made from dried coconut. It is very rich in fibre, and also contains healthy fats. It is naturally grain free and is also considered a superfood as it contains many vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Coconut flour has a light, mildly sweet flavour and can be found at most bulk food stores like Bulk Barn, on Amazon, or at many natural grocery stores or in the natural foods section in the baking goods area.
Is Baking/Cooking with Coconut Flour Healthy?
Coconut flour is a great grain-free and gluten free flour alternative to try. It is very high in fibre and also contains healthy fats as coconuts are naturally high in fat content. Coconut flour also happens to contain some protein as well along with iron, magnesium, and vitamin C.
Coconut flour can help with blood sugar stabilization and can also help boost digestion because of it’s fibre content. And, according to Healthline, “Coconut flour may help you shed excess weight because it offers both fiber and protein, two nutrients shown to reduce hunger and appetite “.
Overall, coconut flour is a great healthy flour alternative to try!
Ingredients in Coconut Flour Waffles
To make these delicious and healthy waffles you only need a handful of whole food ingredients that are gluten free and dairy free.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Coconut flour (Nutiva’s Brand* is great)
- Tapioca flour*
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Almond butter
- Pure maple syrup
- Pure vanilla extract
- Unsweetened applesauce
*contains affiliate links
How To Make Coconut Flour Waffles
To make these tasty Belgian-style waffles you’ll need a generic non-stick waffle iron or waffle maker (it can be square or round) and you can follow the steps below:
1.Add wet ingredients to a medium sized mixing bowl, and whisk until mostly smooth.
2. Add in the coconut flour and other dry ingredients and stir with a spatula until completely smooth and no clumps remain (the batter will be relatively think – not thin like pancake batter).
3. Preheat your non-stick waffle iron then pour batter over the waffle iron.
4. Close the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the waffle maker signals it’s done (my waffle maker has a light that turns green when the waffle is finished cooking)
5. Carefully remove the waffle using a butter knife and transfer to a plate, then repeat the process until all the batter is used.
6. Top waffles with your favourite toppings and enjoy!
Recipe Variations & Substitutions
The wonderful thing about this perfectly sweet gluten free waffles is that they are very versatile and are a blank slate for a variety of additions and substitutions. I love getting creative with a basic recipe to change it up depending on the season and the occasion. Here is some inspiration for you!
- Chocolate Chip: Pour 1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips into the waffle batter before cooking for a delicious chocolaty twist!
- Jammy Swirl: Add some fruity flare to these pancakes by swirling 1/4 cup of your favorite, naturally sweetened jam into the batter before cooking. Then, to add even more fruit, top the waffles with your favourite fresh berries.
- Hulk Waffles: Instead of mixing the batter in a bowl, add all of the ingredients to a blender and add in 1 cup of fresh spinach. Blend until completely smooth then cook for pancakes packed with green goodness.
There are so many delicious ways to enjoy these waffles and they are super easy to make, that’s a win-win in my books! You can also use the batter to make Coconut Flour Pancakes if you are in a pancake mood!
Have you ever cooked or baked with coconut flour? Tell me about it in the comments and be sure to pin the photo below the recipe to save this one for later!
More Coconut Flour Recipes You’ll Love:
- Healthy Homemade Chocolate Banana Bread Donuts
- Maca Almond Banana Chocolate Chip Waffles
- Soft Chewy Coconut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
Have a wonderful day!
Christal // NITK