I would love to say that I’m always sticking to my plan for the blog, but often I end up creating something spur of the moment and frankly, that really seems to be the time when the most magic happens!
Not to say I don’t like having a blog plan – I do try to stick to an editorial calendar as that really does help keep me sane, but… sometimes going with the inspiration of the day is the best!
That’s how these waffles happened.
On Friday night I was thinking about breakfast for the following day (I tend to daydream about my next meal as it’s always something to look forward to!) and I knew I wanted to make something awesome to share with all of you, and of course, for the hubby and myself to enjoy.
So as I brainstormed ideas and scrolled through Pinterest (my fave place for inspiration), waffles kept coming to mind!
I was inspired by these delicious looking pancakes by Ambitious Kitchen to make a similar batter for the waffles using fibre-rich coconut flour and almond butter! Then, I chose to up the nutritional value by adding in some Maca Powder!
Maca powder is made from the maca root and it has abundant health boosting properties. Maca has been used to increase energy, enhance performance and stamina, and it is a woman’s best friend as it is also known to improve fertility, promote hormone balance and kick pesky time-of-the-month symptoms to the curb!
I wasn’t sure if the maca powder would be too strong in these waffles so I added just a couple of tablespoons to the batter, crossed my fingers and hoped for the best!
Maca has a smoky and sightly nutty flavour and can be a bit overpowering in larger amounts, but in the right dose…it’s great!
I was pleasantly surprised when I had a bite of a waffle once they were cooked and tasted only a subtle hint of the maca powder along with the sweet honey and banana, fluffy texture, and melty bits of dark chocolate.
To take this recipe to level 10 on the deliciousness scale (yep, there such a thing!) I used a bunch of healthy ingredients that would add more taste and texture to top these hormone-balancing, brain-boosting, energy-enhancing waffles!
After I finished photographing the recipe, the hubby and I didn’t even bother placing the waffles on separate plates for ourselves to enjoy, we just dug in, right then and there! It was too amusing not to take a photo.
Perfectly healthy (and slightly indulgent) Saturday brea…unch (we slept in).
Are you a fan of maca?? How do you add this superfood ingredient to your day? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons maca powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons raw honey (or pure maple syrup)
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup mashed banana
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- Optional Toppings:
- sliced banana
- slivered almonds
- coconut cream
- pure maple syrup or agave nectar
- dark chocolate chips
- In a large bowl add combine the coconut flour, maca powder, and baking soda and mix.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs, almond butter, honey, almond milk, vanilla, and mashed banana until smooth.
- Slowly add the wet to the dry and stir until a smooth batter is achieved.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Heat your waffle iron as directed for the iron, once hot add the batter to the iron.
- Repeat until all the batter is used up - my waffle iron made 6 large waffles.
- Top the waffles with the optional toppings and enjoy!
Recipe inspired by Ambitious Kitchen
Have an amazing rest of your Sunday!
Nutritionist in the Kitch