These delicious and easy vegan buckwheat pancakes are gluten free and plant based making a great healthy alternative to traditional pancakes.
The Easiest Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes
I am no stranger to delicious and healthy pancakes, but this vegan buckwheat pancakes recipe has to be one of my new favourites. The taste and texture is fantastic. A little fluffy, a little chewy, airy and light, with a perfectly sweet, earthy flavour.
If you haven’t used buckwheat flour in cooking or baking yet, you are in for a lovely surprise. It’s a wonderful flour alternative that is naturally gluten free, with a fine, powdery texture and works great in pancakes.
What is Buckwheat Flour?
Buckwheat flour is a fine flour made from the buckwheat plant, which despite the name, does not contain any actual wheat. The buckwheat plant is naturally gluten free and the flour is made from grinding buckwheat groats, which resemble large seeds. Buckwheat flour is an amazing source of fibre, protein, and complex carbohydrates as well as an array of vitamins and minerals.
Buckwheat flour can be found at most bulk food stores like Bulk Barn, on Amazon, or at many natural grocery stores or in the natural foods section in the baking goods area.
What Does Buckwheat Flour Taste Like?
Buckwheat flour has a wonderful earthy, nutty, and slightly bitter flavour that is rather distinct but really delicious when prepared correctly. It pairs well with the natural sweetness in maple syrup and vanilla, and also goes well with savoury combinations like tomatoes and cheese. It blends well with other grains/gluten free flours in recipes.
These vegan buckwheat pancakes have an earthy sweet flavour and airy, slightly chewy texture as the flour is mixed with tapioca starch. They are perfectly satisfying and versatile (check out the recipe variations at the end of the post!).
Ingredients in Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes
To make these delicious and healthy pancakes you only need a handful of whole food ingredients that are gluten free, dairy free, and vegan.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Buckwheat flour (Bob’s Red Mill brand is great!)
- Tapioca flour or starch
- Baking powder
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Pure maple syrup
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Pure vanilla extract
Recipe Variations & Substitutions
The wonderful thing about this perfect gluten free pancake recipe is that it is very versatile and creates a blank slate for a variety of pancake additions and substitutions. I love getting creative with a basic pancake recipe to change it up depending on the season and the occasion. Here is some inspiration!
- Chocolate Chip: Pour 1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips into the pancake batter before cooking for a delicious chocolaty twist!
- PB & J: Add some peanut butter and jam to these pancakes by swirling 1/4 cup of your favorite, naturally sweetened jam and 1 tablespoon of creamy peanut butter into the batter before cooking. Then, once cooked, top with your favourite fresh berries and a drizzle of peanut butter.
- Hulk Pancakes: Instead of mixing the batter in a bowl, add all of the ingredients to a blender and add in 1 cup of fresh spinach. Blend until completely smooth then cook for pancakes packed with green goodness.
- Cinnamon: For a spiced variation, add 1 tablespoon of cinnamon to the batter.
There are so many delicious ways to enjoy these vegan pancakes and they are really easy to make! You can also use the batter to make Vegan Buckwheat Waffles if you are in a waffle mood…
Have you ever cooked or baked with buckwheat flour? Tell me about it in the comments and be sure to pin the photo below the recipe to save this one for later!
More Gluten Free Pancake Recipes You’ll Love: