The other day I was craving some protein pancakes!
I’ve been on the oatmeal train lately and have literally left my protein pancakes in the dust!
I tend to get into breakfast cycles where I will eat the same breakfast every day for a month then switch it up and eat that breakfast every day for a month and so on…but I think these Vanilla Chai Spice protein pancakes might be the choice for the next month…at least!
They are DELISH!
I wanted to really try and embody the flavor and aroma of Vanilla Chai into these pancakes and I think I figured out exactly how to do that! Rather than using just the typical Chai spices, I actually used brewed tea in the pancake batter!
I used Pukka brand Vanilla Chai Tea (caffeine free.. because caffeine, in even the tiniest amount, makes me stutter and gives me mad heart palpitations!) and brewed it in a mason jar with just a small amount of hot water. I let the tea sit in the fridge overnight to really saturate the water with as much flavor as possible!
I also cut open a tea bag and threw a little bit (about 1/8 tsp) of the herb mix into the batter too! Just for that extra Chai-ness!
The batter is super easy, and super healthy to whip up! A combo of whole oat flour (gluten free for those who need it!), coconut flour, natural vanilla whey protein powder, ground flaxseed, stevia (as my sweetener of choice!), cinnamon, egg whites, the tea, and vanilla extract!
Clean, wholesome ingredients, and as per usual, no refined sugars or flours!
Because there is coconut flour in the recipe, these little pancakes do take a tad longer to cook but they don’t have a super strong coconut taste for those who don’t like the taste of coconut flour! There is always the option to use all oat flour as well!
I used my fave North Coast Naturals all natural vanilla whey isolate to bring in some extra protein and vanilla flavor as well as vanilla extract which amps up the vanilla a little more too!
I wasn’t sure if the Vanilla Chai taste would really shine through in these pancakes but it truly does!!
So warming, comforting, and delicious with a little mix of sweet and spice!
For the honey chai syrup I simply took some of the brewed tea and mixed it with some raw creamed honey, then drizzled it over the pancakes! I prefer the syrup to be warm so I popped it in the microwave for a few minutes and it added some extra sweetness and chai flavor to the pancakes!
A perfect… and sophisticated breakfast.
Why sophisticated? I’m not really sure, I just felt sophisticated eating “Vanilla Chai” protein panckaes… it has a sophisticated sound to it doesn’t it…?
Someone asks you “What type of pancakes do you eat??”…..“why.. I eat Vanilla Chaiiii pancakes…”
…and uber nutritious!!
Doesn’t get any better than that!
Now that I’ve discovered this whole new world of putting brewed tea into pancake batter I can’t wait to try more kinds like apple cider, chamomile honey, or berry!!
What tea flavor do you think would be good in protein pancakes??
- 1 vanilla chai tea bag
- ¼ cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons oat flour (20g)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour (7g)
- ½ tablespoon ground flaxseed (7g)
- ½ scoop vanilla protein powder (15g)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup liquid egg whites or 4 whole egg whites
- 1 packet stevia (or ½ tablespoon granulated sweetener of choice)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- In a small glass brew tea with ¼ cup boiling water - allow the tea to brew for at least 15 minutes. Set aside
- In a medium bowl combine flours, protein powder, ground flax, cinnamon, baking powder, stevia, and stir to incorporate.
- Add in egg whites, vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon of the brewed tea.
- Mix everything until batter is smooth.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Add in batter and cook each pancake about 2 minutes before flipping.
- For the sauce in a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon of brewed tea and 1 tablespoon of pure honey and heat in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.
- Pour over the pancakes and enjoy!
Nutritionist in the Kitch