These simple and delicious banana carrot muffins are fluffy, moist, easy to make, dairy free, plant based, and gluten free. A perfect healthy snack idea!
Time For Some Fluffy & Tender Muffins
The weather is finally getting warmer here and it’s such a gorgeous time! These delicious banana carrot muffins make the perfect healthy snack, addition to breakfast or brunch, or even midnight treat… seriously.
When it comes to carrot muffins you can find at the store, there’s often just a lot of cupcakes masquerading as muffins. They are usually made with refined flours, loads of white sugar, and other processed ingredients. These banana carrot muffins are legitimately healthy and very, very delicious, not to mention they are gluten free and totally plant-based.
Ingredients in Banana Carrot Muffins
To make these delicious banana carrot muffins you will need only 10 main ingredients that are all gluten free, dairy free, and plant-based. These healthy muffins are also made with unrefined sugar for natural sweetness that won’t spike blood sugar levels!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- All purpose gluten-free flour (If you don’t need GF, use regular all-purpose flour, or whole wheat flour instead!)
- Coconut palm sugar
- Olive oil (or coconut oil)
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt
These whole-food focused ingredients keep these muffins healthy, with lots of fibre, vitamins, and minerals, and healthy fats. If you are looking for a healthier muffin option for little ones, this is a great recipe to try as well as it is free of the main allergens (dairy, soy, eggs, wheat, and nuts).
How To Make Muffins Plant-Based (without eggs & milk)
Often traditional muffins are made with eggs and milk, and sometimes butter as well. All of these ingredients are animal based and can be allergenic to many people, especially dairy. To make muffins that are still soft, tender, fluffy and moist, you can use alternative plant-based ingredients to make the same texture.
Banana and applesauce are both great options for substituting eggs in a muffin recipe. They work to bind the ingredients together like eggs do, but are vegan-friendly.
- As a general rule, 1/4 cup of applesauce can replace 1 egg in baked recipes like muffins, and 1/4 cup of mashed banana can also substitute one egg.
- Instead of cow’s milk, you can substitute the same amount of plant-based milk like almond milk, cashew milk, or oat milk.
- Instead of butter, you can use an equal amount of vegan butter (like Earth Balance brand) or coconut oil.
How To Make Banana Carrot Muffins
To make these simple muffins you really need just one bowl, muffin liners, and a muffin tin. Oh, and an oven of course!
Here’s what you’ll do:
1. Preheat the oven and line a muffin tin with paper muffin liners.
2. In a bowl add mashed banana, applesauce, oil, spices, and mix.
3. Add in the dry ingredients and mix again.
4. Fold in the shredded carrot and mix once more to combine.
5. Fill each muffin tin with the batter and bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick pulls clean.
6. Let the muffins cool completely then enjoy!
I love getting my almost 4 year old daughter involved in the kitchen and muffins are a great way to do that. This is such an easy recipe that doesn’t require a lot of tedious techniques, it’s perfect for little helpers.
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins:
These tasty muffins are versatile and can be enjoyed in other ways if you want to switch them up for the day or for the season! Whether it’s changing up the flavour or texture with different add-ins you can definitely get creative.
Here are some delicious variations you can try:
- Walnut crunch: Add in 1/4 cup of crushed walnuts to the mix for a little nutty crunch.
- Chocolate Chip: Who doesn’t love chocolate chips? Add in 1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips to the mix for some chocolate flair.
- Pumpkin Spice: Swap out the mashed banana for an equal amount of pure pumpkin puree (or pumpkin pie puree for a sweeter option) for a pumpkin twist!
- Granola Crumble: Top the muffins with a sprinkle of your favorite gluten free granola before baking for added crunch!
Have you tried banana carrot muffins? Tell me about it in the comments and be sure to pin the photo below the recipe to save this one for later!
More Muffin Recipes You’ll Love:
- Easy Almond Flour Banana Muffins
- Fluffy Almond Flour Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Banana Protein Muffins
- The Best Ever Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins