This simple, delicious, and easy blender or Vitamix tortilla soup is comforting and healthy. Made with vegan, gluten free, whole food ingredients, it comes together in a flash!
photography by Jaia Taboada for Nutrition in the Kitch
Tortilla Soup in the Vitamix or Blender
It’s always nice to have a super simple, easy-to-make recipe in your back pocket for those days when you have little time or energy to cook a meal. Be it lunch or dinner, this delicious Vitamix Tortilla Soup is filling, nutritious, and warms you from the inside out!
Tortilla soup is a favourite and loved by many, and it’s no surprise. Traditionally this Mexican soup is made with a mix of spices, tomatoes, onion, chilies, and broth. Nowadays you can find a ton of variations inspired by the classic and this quick and easy blender version is definitely worth a try!
How To Make Soup in a Blender
Making soup in the blender has to be one of the easiest ways to prepare this dish. You don’t have to worry about chopping all your ingredients perfectly as they all end up in the blender anyway and you can pour your piping hot soup right from the blender to the bowl.
While I’m sure there are different methods out there, here are the steps I follow to make a smooth and delicious blender soup.
- Add “solid” soup ingredients to a large pan or pot with olive oil (such as veggies, garlic, onion, and seasonings) and sauté for a few minutes until tender.
- Pour liquid ingredients into the pot (such as broth, crushed tomatoes, coconut milk, etc.) and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer hot mixture to a blender or Vitamix.
- Blend until completely smooth and pour hot soup directly into serving bowls.
- Add textured ingredients or garnishes as desired (such as pulled chicken, croutons, fresh herbs, cheese, etc.)
You can make all different kinds of soups using this method and turn your favourite soups that you would normally make on the stovetop into a creamy blended version!
Ingredients in Vitamix Tortilla Soup
To make this healthy and filling tortilla soup you’ll need only a handful of ingredients that come together to create a wonderful flavour and texture.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Bell pepper
- Crushed tomatoes
- Vegetable Broth
- Black Beans
- Seasonings: cumin, organic taco seasoning, salt, pepper
- Tortilla chips
- Cilantro (optional)
Recipes Variations for Vitamix Tortilla Soup
This recipe is relatively simple and provides a base for a variety of additions and substitutions. If you don’t need a vegan soup you can add in other ingredients that are non-vegan, and you can get creative with texture too!
Here are some ideas to try:
- Creamy Chicken: Add 1/2 cup of sour cream (or non-dairy sour cream) to the pot with the rest of the liquids before blending, after blending stir in 1 1/2 cups pulled or shredded chicken breast.
- Creamy Vegan: Keep the soup vegan but add in 1/2 cup of vegan sour cream or 1 cup of full fat coconut to the pot with the rest of the liquids before blending.
- Fire roasted: Substitute the regular crushed tomatoes for fire-roasted crushed tomatoes and add in 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle powder for a smoky and spicy tortilla soup.
- Chunky: If you aren’t into smooth, keep the consistency of this tortilla soup on the chunkier side by only blending for half of the time.
- Extra Smooth: If you like a really smooth velvety soup, put the corn in during the blending and add 1 slice of your favorite grainy bread to the blender as well (trust me on this one, the bread helps create a super thick and creamy consistency!).
Whatever way you prefer, there’s a flavour and texture for everyone!
Are you a fan of tortilla soup? Have you ever made it in the blender or Vitamix? Tell me about it in the comments and be sure to pin the photo below the recipe to save this one for later!
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love: