*This post was originally published in November 2012 and has been updated and rephotographed for quality and accuracy!*
Whenever I’m feeling a little chilled or run-down, a bowl of something delicious, comforting, and healthy always hits the spot. That’s where this amazing 20-Minute Tortilla Soup comes in!
From start to finish the Tortilla Soup takes about, yes, just 20 minutes…it’s seriously fast and easy. Using an already cooked organic rotisserie chicken cuts down on the preparation time and that shredded, tender, pulled chicken gives such a great, filling consistency to the dish!
The ingredients are minimal. simple, and come together in a snap to create amazing flavour which is why this recipe is one of my client favourites! I add this tortilla soup to client meal plans all the time because I know we are all busy, and busy people need quick, healthy meals, not to mention it is totally kid-friendly!
The chicken in the soup amps up the protein content and the rest is all veggie goodness; crushed tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. Garlic is my favourite addition, not only flavor, but garlic is also one of the best natural antiboitics and antivirals in nature…so it works very well to ward off that nasty flu bug!
Garnishes are the cherry on top! Avocado, crushed tortilla chips, cilantro… and if you aren’t dairy free like me, shredded cheese or Greek yogurt would make a great garnish addition!
The hubby and I make this recipe on the regular – it’s definitely a staple in our home and I guarantee if you make it once, it will be a staple for you too!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 15 ounces roasted chicken breast, shredded (rotisserie chicken works great)
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- 900 mL organic chicken broth
- 1 - 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup coarsely crushed baked organic tortilla chips
- ½ cup preshredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (optional garnish)
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced (optional garnish)
- cilantro (optional garnish)
- 6 lime wedges (about 1½ limes)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a nonstick Dutch oven on medium-high.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in cumin, chili powder, broth, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken to the soup and simmer 3 minutes or until heated through. Stir in cilantro.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls; top with crushed tortilla chips and optional garnishes.
- Serve hot, with a lime wedge on the side.
Nutritionist in the Kitch