This quick, simple, and easy recipe for healthy air fryer homemade tortilla chips are a perfect for better snacking. These homemade tortilla chips are crunchy and flavourful and come together in a flash with just a few ingredients. Great for dipping!
Homemade Tortilla Chips Made Healthy In The Air Fryer
I’m so excited to be finally sharing this recipe with you all.
If you don’t own an Air Fryer yet, I definitely recommend adding one to your must-have list. This small kitchen appliance is incredibly easy to use and gives so many different foods that delicious crispy, crunchy fried edge that a deep fryer does… without the deep-frying!
This delicious and super simple recipe for healthy air fryer tortilla chips shows how easy it is to use them and just how quickly you can enjoy homemade tortilla chips perfect for dipping and snacking.
How To Make Crispy, Crunchy Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
When it comes to making the best tortilla chips in the air fryer, there are really only a few simple steps to follow! You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to learn how to make homemade chips that you’ll want to do it often. I’m not kidding when I say that these are the best homemade tortilla chips either, they’re seriously good!
1. Start with slicing plain white corn tortillas you find at the grocery store into six triangles. I prefer white corn tortillas (instead of yellow) as I find the flavor is more subtle and it reminds me of restaurant-style tortilla chips.
2. Next, preheat your fryer for 3 minutes.
3. Toss the corn tortilla triangles in a large bowl with oil (avocado or olive, not canola oil), salt, and a sprinkle of chili powder.
4. Place them in the fryer basket (be sure not to overlap the triangles too much for more even cooking).
5. Cook for 4 minutes at 370 degrees, removing the basket halfway through to flip the chips and arrange evenly again (they get tossed around in the air fryer while cooking).
6. Remove the fryer basket when the cooking time is done and transfer the chips to a plate covered in a paper towel.
7. Let tortilla chips cool for 5-10 minutes to get to full crispiness.
I wanted to make a boat-load of tortilla chips so with my 6-Quart Air Fryer and I had to work in batches as I could fit about 12 chips in the fryer at once. The fried tortilla chips turned out wonderfully and my family loved them including my toddler who couldn’t get enough!
How do you heat tortilla chips in an air fryer?
If you love how restaurant tortilla chips are hot fresh out of the deep-fryer, you can mimic this at home by reheating all of the fried tortilla chips at the end in the fryer.
To reheat, simply place all of the tortilla chips back in the fryer basket once they have fully cooled and reached ultimate crispiness. Air fry the chips for 1 minute at 350 degrees.
It’s totally fine if the tortilla chips overlap in this step as they have already been air-fried and cooled.
How to make homemade tortilla chips in the oven
How to bake tortilla chips–Making homemade tortilla chips on a baking sheet in the oven is pretty similar to the air fryer. Simply prepare your tortilla chips as directed and then bake on a baking sheet at 350 degrees F for 16 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through cooking.
How long do homemade chips last?
You can keep your leftover tortilla chips (the uneaten ones) in an airtight container for up to 10 days! This should give you plenty of time to enjoy a nice healthier snack.
Are tortilla chips gluten-free?
These chips are gluten-free because we choose to use corn tortillas instead of a flour tortilla.
Are tortilla chips healthy?
Most of the time no, tortilla chips are deep-fried and smothered in kosher salt. Our homemade version here is much healthier than anything you can buy at the grocery store and only has a couple of simple ingredients in it making it a healthier snacking option. You can still add a trace amount of kosher salt if desired.
Are tortilla chips vegan?
You would have to double-check the ingredient labels on the products that you use but yes, these tortilla chips should be considered vegan as there is no animal products in use.
How many carbs in tortilla chips?
For these chips, there is roughly 300 carbs in a serving of chips and this recipe makes about 3-5 servings worth.
How to make tortilla chips from flour tortillas
Simply make your own tortilla chips using flour tortillas in the same manner as the corn ones. No need to take extra steps or do anything differently as they’ll bake up correctly in your air fryer.
Are tortilla chips keto?
These chips as written are not keto because they are made with cornflour and therefore contain a lot of carbs. You can make keto-friendly tortilla chips by using a keto-friendly tortilla instead of corn tortillas.
Air Fryer Tortilla Chips Ingredients
When I say this recipe is incredibly simple, I mean it is incredibly simple. While you can go crazy with spices and seasonings, I decided to add only two to my tortilla chips which leaves you with the ability to add variety if you choose!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 6″ Soft white corn tortilla shells (store-bought is totally fine)
- Sea salt
- Chili powder
- Avocado oil or olive oil
Optional sauces for dipping:
Tortilla Chip Flavour Variations
To change it up you can add some delicious twists to these air fryer tortilla chips! Here’s some inspiration:
- Nacho Cheese: Add a little bit of (dairy-free) cheesy flair to these chips by adding 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon of paprika, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of taco seasoning to the mix when tossing the chips in a bowl with the salt, chili powder, and oil.
- Margarita Lime: Bring in the lime with this margarita twist! When the tortilla chips are done cooking in the air fryer toss them in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of lime zest and an extra pinch of chili powder, then let cool.
- Cinnamon Sugar: Into sweet instead of savory? Omit the chili powder and sea salt, then toss the uncooked tortilla triangles with the vegetable oil and 1-2 tablespoons of coconut palm sugar, and 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon, then cook in the air fryer!
Do you have own an air fryer yet? What type of delicious snacks or meals do you plan to try? Tell me about it in the comments and be sure to pin the photo below the recipe to save this one for later!
More Chip Inspired Recipes You’ll Love: