Mmm curry. This is another Thai inspired dish that is unbelievably delicious, easy to put together, and healthier than the traditional coconut curry thanks to a few easy swaps!
The red curry paste gives this curry some good kick, so I wouldn’t recommend it for those who aren’t into a little bit of spice! You know what, I retract that, EVEN IF you aren’t into spice, this curry is so yummy you should try it anyway and just cut down on the red curry paste!
To make this curry higher in nutritional value than the traditional coconut curry, I substituted light coconut milk for the full fat, used some honey as a sweetener for the sauce rather than regular sugar, used a sugar-free peanut butter, and used brown rice rather than white.
Even with the changes to make this curry more waistline friendly, there is no lack of flavor here folks! If you aren’t a fan of asparagus feel free to use whichever veggies you prefer, the more the merrier!
- 1 pound raw tiger prawns
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1½ cup asparagus, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup light coconut milk
- ½ cup sugar-free peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy-sauce
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons melted coconut oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon pure honey
- pinch of pepper, cinnamon, cayenne
- cilantro, green onion, crushed peanuts, lime juice to garnish (optional)
- In a bowl whisk together coconut milk, peanut butter, curry paste, lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce, honey, spices, and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in a non-stick pan at medium to high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until softened. Add prawns and cook for 2 minutes until turning pink.
- Add sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add asparagus and cook for another 3 minutes until asparagus is slightly softened and prawns are cooked through.
- Serve on top of brown rice, and garnish with cilantro, crushed peanuts, green onion and a squeeze of lime juice.
Nutritionist in the Kitch
Made this tonight! So creamy and peanut-buttery and yummy! Xoxo
Awesome! So glad you liked it Keri! 🙂 Welcome to the world of delicious Curry!!
Looking forward to trying this tonight!
I hope you enjoy!
This looks so good!
Oh it is!! 🙂