Helloooo from the newborn bliss exhausted love haze.
It’s been 11 days since our little peanut made her debut and we are all doing wonderfully. It’s also pretty neat that today is Mother’s Day and I get to hold my new baby girl as a fresh mama. To all the mamas out there, whether you are a mama to babies, kids old and young, fur babes, or a mother in spirit, I wish you a very wonderful Mother’s Day.
I honestly feel like I’m ALWAYS the last one on the boat when it comes to the latest recipe trends. As much as I follow all the big accounts and try to stay tuned to the latest, it just takes me a little longer. But alas, I’ve done it, I’ve created a “sheet pan” recipe! To sum it up, this new “sheet pan” craze is kind of like the “one pot meal” concept, but instead you use a sheet pan, pile everything you need onto the pan, pop it in the oven, let it do it’s thing, and then about 30-minutes later, assemble an entire meal with the addition of a few bits and bobs to garnish! Super easy prep, cooking, and clean up.
Everything tastes better out of a bowl, am I right?! I thought I’d create a sheet pan recipe of my own using ingredients that could be tossed easily into a bowl once cooked and smothered with a delicious, rich, creamy, and tangy Thai peanut curry sauce.
I love curries any day, any month of the year. In the middle of summer or the dead of winter, it’s not unusual for me to be craving Thai curry inspired dishes. While this Sheet-Pan Thai Peanut Curry Bowl might seem like more of a winter dish, it’s really quite light, refreshing and can totally be enjoyed in the Spring or Summer too.
For a full-on Summer version I’d probably swap out some of the vegetables like cauliflower and broccoli for lighter options like cherry tomatoes, summer squash, and green beans.
For this recipe I used a tasty combination of chicken breast, bell pepper, red cabbage, onion, baby corn, broccoli, cauliflower, and creamer potatoes. Instead of cooking rice or quinoa on the side, I really wanted to commit to the whole “sheet pan” concept so I chose to use Little Potato Company chilean splash creamer potatoes as my carbohydrate component… and really it’s another veggie in the mix too!
Potatoes are in fact a vegetable, and while they are on the starchier side, they work dual purpose in this dish providing filling fibre and energizing carbohydrates along with minerals like potassium. Plus, when they are roasted (perfectly soft on the inside with a little crispy crust on the outside) they taste amazing mixed with the peanut curry sauce.
During the last 5 minutes that the vegetables and chicken were in the oven roasting away, I whipped up the super simple sauce. I made a little variation on the sauce in this Peanut, Lime & Prawn Curry that I made ages ago for the blog. The sauce worked out perfectly for this sheet pan recipe.
Peanut butter, red Thai curry sauce, lots of lime juice, a little coconut sugar for sweetness, and creamy coconut milk adds just the right amount of richness to this recipe. Then, for the final touch… my favourite, cilantro! All of you cilantro haters out there… I just don’t get you. I mean, it’s all good, everyone has the right to choose which foods they love and which they hate, but cilantro is… just. so. amazing.
However, if you must omit the cilantro from this dish, a few sprigs of Thai basil will do the trick wonderfully.
Have you hopped on the whole “sheet pan” recipe wagon yet? I’d love to know what kind of sheet pan recipes you’ve tried. Let me know in the comments below!
- 6 ounces raw chicken breast, sliced into strips
- ½ sweet onion, sliced
- ¼ head of red cabbage, left in large chunks
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- 10 creamer potatoes, halved
- ¾ cup broccoli florets
- ¾ cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup baby corn
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Thai Peanut Curry Sauce:
- ⅓ cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon red Thai Curry Sauce
- juice from 1 small lime
- 1-2 teaspoons coconut palm sugar (depending on desired level of sweetness)
- small bunch of fresh cilantro
- 2 lime wedges
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Assemble the sheet pan ingredients, chicken, vegetables, and potatoes over the pan in groups.
- Drizzle everything with the olive oil and toss slightly to coat the ingredients with the oil.
- Sprinkle over the salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and roast for 25 minutes, checking after 15 minutes or so to flip/toss chicken and vegetables.
- When the sheet pan ingredients have about 5 minutes left in the oven, prepare the sauce.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add in the peanut and curry sauce.
- Heat for 20 seconds then add in the lime and coconut milk, and use a whisk to stir until the sauce is smooth and comes to a slight simmer.
- Add in the coconut sugar, and stir again until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove the pan from the oven and divide the cooked chicken, vegetables, and potatoes between two bowls.
- Pour ½ of the sauce over each bowl and garnish with a small bunch of cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime.
Happy Mother’s Day again! <3
Christal // NITK