I was standing in line at the grocery store the other day (which doesn’t happen often anymore since I’ve been using SPUD!) and I picked up one of the magazines on the rack. I don’t remember which magazine it was but it had a page full of delicious looking smoothies!
My eye instantly caught a Blueberry Pie Smoothie and I was so excited to see the recipe. Unfortunatly, the only healthy ingredient in the entire recipe was the blueberries themselves. The rest of the ingredients… ice cream, sugar, generic graham crackers, to name a few…it definitely didn’t make me think “smoothie”, rather it made me think of an unhealthy, high calorie, sugar-laden milkshake. Boo.
I looked over the rest of the recipes, again, less than pleased at all the added sugars and refined ingredients and decided that I was going to go home and make a healthier, lighter, tastier Blueberry smoothie to be enjoyed for breakfast, a snack, OR dessert this Summer!
I did some brainstorming and came up with this delicious Vegan Blueberry Cheesecake Swirl Smoothie!
Aside from the graham crackers (I used a gluten free cracker I found in the natural foods section, naturally sweetened with honey – so for strict vegan you could use a honey-free graham cracker), I used only whole food ingredients to create this delicious and healthy smoothie combo.
Blueberries are a total powerhouse when it comes to nutrients. They are packed with phytonutrients, antioxidants, Vitamin C & K, and fibre! I love snacking on blueberries in the Summer and I especially love when they are crunchy and juicy at the same time!
I used light coconut milk blended with dates and vanilla to make the “cheesecake” swirl that I layered and swirled into the mix of blueberries, bananas, graham crackers (yes, I blended the crackers INTO the smoothie!) and almond milk.
The end result was a sweet, rich, creamy, dreamy, beautifully purplish-blue, nutritious smoothie that would win over any blueberry skeptic!
I added a small layer of graham crumbs to the bottom of the glass for that yum factor and it gave a little extra wow to each delicious bite!
For those of you celebrating Independence Day this weekend, I highly suggest making a batch of these Vegan Blueberry Cheesecake Swirl Smoothies for your guests! A creamy, cool, sweet (secretly healthy) smoothie for dessert?! I like the sounds of that!
- In a blender add the coconut milk, dates, and vanilla, and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and set aside.
- Rinse the blender and add in the blueberries, banana, almond milk, and 2 graham crackers, and blend until smooth and thick.
- Crush two graham crackers and add the crumbs to the bottom of two glasses.
- Divide half of the blubbery smoothie mixture between each glass.
- Pour in some of the coconut milk mixture to each glass and add in the remaining blueberry smoothie mixture.
- Top with more of the coconut milk mixture.
- Take a spoon and lightly stir each glass to swirl the coconut mixture throughout the blueberry smoothie.
- Garnish each smoothie with a little more graham cracker crumbs and a few fresh or frozen blueberries!
Are you a fan of blueberry smoothies? What are your favourite ingredients to combine with blueberries? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
Have a wonderful rest of the week and a great weekend to come!
Nutritionist in the Kitch